The Deputy Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will join a fiscally sound local government operation with the prestigious triple-AAA bond rating since 2013 and 21 consecutive years of GFOA Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting. This is a senior level professional position in the County Executive form of government wherein the responsibilities of Treasurer and Commissioner of the Revenue are performed by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The Deputy CFO reports directly to the CFO and oversees the day to day operations of the multiple divisions of the Finance Department which serves both the local government and Albemarle County Public Schools. The Deputy CFO provides operational and financial leadership and management, advice, and consultation that will significantly impact the operations of the Finance Department and the County as a whole.
Experience and Education
A Bachelor's degree in accounting, economics, business, finance, or related field is required and master's degree in public administration or business administration is preferred. General knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, government accounting and financial reporting, property assessment and local taxation, purchasing, risk management, and accounting is essential.
At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible related experience, to include supervisory or management experience preferably in a local government setting; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) designations are desired.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring Range: $85,673 -$139,845. Excellent benefits including vacation and sick leave, health insurance options, and Virginia Retirement System benefits. This is a full time, FLSA Exempt position.
- Salary – Compensation System that incorporates market considerations
- Retirement – participation in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Competitive Insurance Benefits for Health, Vision, and Dental
- Relocation Assistance
- County-paid Life Insurance
- Deferred compensation available
- Holidays / Leave package–12 Days of Holiday Leave–12 Days of Annual Leave (increases with continuous years of service)–12 Days of Sick Leave–Other types of paid leave such as Inclement Weather, Emergency, Jury Duty, Election Poll Volunteer, and other types of Administrative leave.
- Supportive of work-life balance
- Free employee parking
- Social Activities Club hosts events with reduced-cost meals, and offers reduced-cost movie tickets
- Annual Reward and Recognition ceremony with reduced cost lunch
- Department-level recognition programs
- Learning and Development – free classes through County course catalog, focus on continuous learning, department budget for additional opportunities, conferences, and professional fees for staff
- Wellness – programs year round to stay healthy and well: free flu shot, free mammogram screenings, lose well weight loss program, discounted rates with local area vendors and gyms, free use of County gym at two main office locations with showers at both.
- Free access to Albemarle County Parks year round
- County resident discount for all County employees (regardless of residency)
- Qualifying employer for the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted electronically by The Novak Consulting Group, now part of Raftelis, at https://bit.ly/36qzycG. Applicants complete a brief online form and are prompted to provide a cover letter and resume.
Open until filled with the first review of applications on November 11, 2020.