Los Angeles Unified School District is seeking a Deputy Controller with extensive professional financial management experience, who is organizationally astute, diplomatic and a service-centered leader, to assist the Controller in the management of the Accounting and Disbursement Division and acts for the Controller as needed.
The ideal candidate for the LAUSD Deputy Controller will have:
- Solid professional accounting and financial knowledge (GAAP, GASB, FASB) and the executive/management experience to assist the Controller with the oversight of the Division’s day-to-day operations including financial reporting responsibilities.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to anticipate and evaluate complex information and data (accounting, financial, forecasts, legislative, and auditing reports, etc.) and the impact these matters will have on the organization’s financial and general operations.
- Strong business process/systems analytical skills to define, assess and ensure continuous improvement of operational processes and workflow. Experience implementing best practices, trends, and solutions to industry-wide challenges impacting public sector agencies.
- Ability to anticipate business and accounting cycle activities; to effectively plan, direct and coordinate accounting operational functions and maximize the efficiencies of the current complex operations.
- Strong management skills and the ability to create and maintain a positive work environment; Ability to set clear, challenging, and attainable goals for the staff that align with the goals of the organization. Leads by example.
- A decisive, confident, rational, decision-making style and ability to consider conflicting needs and trade-offs in making “tough” decisions. Will welcome opportunities to find creative, innovative and pragmatic solutions by using their strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills to find solutions to a broad range of concerns that will often reach beyond standard compliance issues.
- Possesses the professional resilience to maintain their composure and professionalism to thrive in a “high-demand” complex work environment.
- Ability to maintain a positive environment of mutual trust, have an open and approachable manner and easily build rapport with other parties, regardless of differences in background, and organizational level and thrive by leading by example.
- Solid communication skills to interact effectively with all levels of the organization as well as excellent listening skills.
- Capable of finding and developing talented people and has strong mentoring skills to train staff geared towards career progression and succession planning.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to the profession demonstrated by possessing a Certified Public Accountant license and maintaining their certification with continuing professional education courses.
Please note that the "Minimum Entrance Qualifications" for both Education and Experience, here and noted on the recruitment bulletin, must be met in order to move forward in our selection process.
- Education: Graduation from a recognized college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. A degree in accounting is preferable
- Experience: Three (3) years of experience as an executive or manager with responsibility for the accounting, auditing, budgeting, or disbursements of an organization of preferably with at least 1,000 employees and with a budget of at least $100 million.
The aforementioned experience must include professional level experience in the same areas, preferably in accounting or auditing.
Public sector experience is preferable.
Special: A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is preferable
For more information, including the experience and education entrance requirements please visit our job board at www.lausdjobs.org.