Pay Grade Range
$102,624.04 - $153,936.04 Annually
$102,624.04 - $128,280 Annually
1/23/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
Applicants both inside and outside of Winston-Salem are encouraged to apply. The residency policy language in the application submission process is currently under review, with recommended changes pending City Council action in early 2022. The residency requirement will be further discussed during the interview process.
General Definition of Work
Performs complex professional and administrative work assisting the Chief Financial Officer in the planning, organizing, and directing the financial management of the City, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer. Departmental supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Examples of Duties
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer in planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the City’s Finance Department.
- Assists in the administration of financial planning and risk management programs.
- Directs the preparation of financial statements and reports.
- Coordinates audits by independent external auditors.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of financial systems.
- Advises City officials on all financial matters of the City.
- Oversees the financial administration of federal grants.
- Establishes and maintains all financial and accounting systems for the City.
- Supervises the preparation of other reports of the fiscal condition of the City.
- Directs activities relating to the pension system.
- Assists CFO with other special projects, serve on system implementation team, review business processes for improvements, and other complex financial analysis.
- Makes and prepares revenue projections.
- Assists with the planning and organizing debt financing, projections, updating and reviewing bond documents & analysis.
- Assists with operations, administration, accounting and management of cash and investments, including cash, equities and fixed income.
- Assists CFO with Debt Financings, Economic Development projects, Capital Financing projections, and other complex financial analysis.
- Coordinates budget development for Finance, Benefit Funds and Trust Funds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting principles, rules and regulations; thorough knowledge of accounting terminology, methods, procedures and equipment; thorough knowledge of principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting; general knowledge of and ability to operate personal computers, associated hardware, software including word processing and spreadsheets and peripheral equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to evaluate complex financial systems and efficiently formulate and install accounting methods, procedures, forms and records; ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; ability to understand and apply laws and established policies to the maintenance of financial records; ability to prepare complete and accurate financial reports from various accounting data; ability to plan, organize, and evaluate the work of employees in the specialized field of accounting; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, elected officials, attorneys, contractors, engineers, vendors, auditors and the general public.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree with coursework in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field and extensive experience with governmental accounting standards, municipal bond financing, budget development, federal and state payroll regulations, personnel policies, supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree preferred.
MBA, CPA, OR Certified Finance Officer
Valid Driver’s License
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel and occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The City of Winston-Salem's employment practices are guided by federal, state, and local rules and regulations guaranteeing employment opportunities to all persons without regard to and prohibiting discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, political affiliation or beliefs, national origin or handicap, unless a bonafide occupational qualification exists.