Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The FINANCE AND TAXATION DIRECTOR position is full-time, 40 hours, FLSA exempt, non Civil Service and not represented by a Union. This position reports directly to the elected three member governing Board of County Commissioners.
Columbia County is looking for a creative, collaborative, and versatile director to join our management team. The Columbia County Finance Department is responsible for tax collection, accounting services, and financial administration of the county including payroll, budgets, and accounts payable.
Finance Department staff provide the Board of Commissioners and departments with financial information, forecasting, program and financial analysis, as well as ensure that budget processes comply with applicable laws. The department is responsible for the county's annual budget, and for helping departments prepare and administer their specific budgets. The budget covers all major operating functions of the County as well as elected and administrative functions.
- Responsible for professional performance and administration of the Finance and Taxation Department for Columbia County. Responsible for planning, organizing and directing the activities of the Department.
- Fairly enforce all laws, regulations, ordinances, and standards to ensure maximum compliance and to protect the public health and safety. Plan, organize and direct all Departmental activities, including those with other governmental units and private organizations. Work directly with a wide range of community groups, public and private sector officials, County employees, individual citizens and as part of the County management team.
- Promote excellence, dependable performance, responsible customer services, pride, initiative, commitment, cooperation, safety and a team approach throughout the Department. Evaluate and define Departmental programs and policies along with the development of budget proposals in accordance with the vision of the County as articulated by the Board of County Commissioners. Supervise staff of professional, technical and office support staff and hold them accountable for results.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Equivalent to a four year university education in accounting, finance, business or public administration or related field. Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in public finance and accounting, preferably within a county government, including responsibility for analysis of accounting and financial methods, procedures and records; development of recommendations and solutions; and personnel supervision. Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates the knowledge and abilities to perform the above described duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
- Broad knowledge of principles, methods and practices of county finance, accounting and budgeting, internal control and auditing procedures, state and federal regulations pertaining to areas of responsibility. Knowledge of county government organization, functions and relationships with other governmental jurisdictions, principles and practices of public administration, and data processing applications. Extensive knowledge of management principles and practices of human and financial resource management.
- Familiarity with the use of personal computers and general business software such as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate Department activities based on policy guidelines, regulations and laws.
- Think conceptually and quickly get to the heart of a problem.
- Set priorities and develop realistic solutions to problems.
- Express ideas effectively, verbally and in writing. Use sound judgment and not be afraid to take reasonable risks.
- Adapt flexibly to change or new situations and acknowledge and work through conflict openly. Accept responsibility and be able to work well with ambiguity.
- Model the positive behavior desired in others and promote collaboration and shared responsibility for Departmental success. Look for opportunities for people to contribute, develop skills, take responsibility and be trusted.
- Develop and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, County officials and the general public.
Join our team - Columbia County online application must be completed - Apply today!