Who We Are Needing On Our Team
Do you have what it takes to join our dedicated Office of Management & Budget team? Then this career is just for you! In this position, you will be responsible for the preparation and development of the City’s annual operating and capital improvement plan budgets. You will provide financial information to the City Manager and City Council for short and long-term management decisions as well as other City departments in the development and execution of adopted budgets.
Let us know if the following describes you:
- Strong trusted partner who proactively collaborates with peers
- Team Leadership
- Time and Priority Management
- Supervisory Experience
- Interpersonal Skills
- Strategic, creative, and a critical thinker
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of principles and practices of administrative management
- Knowledge of Government Accounting Standards (GASB), *Financial accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Government *Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards
If you are ready for the challenge, you will:
- Direct the Office of Management & Budget (OMB) in development of the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Prepare financial reports for the City Manager and Council detailing current and projected revenues and expenditures, important trends in financial activity, and the City’s overall financial position.
- Review Council actions to ensure availability of funds and compliance with budgets or other financial plans approved by the City Council.
- Oversee development and implementation of strategic initiatives on behalf of the City Manager.
- Conduct organizational analysis and process improvement studies to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of City operations.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department in accomplishment of assigned responsibilities specifically in the areas of financial reporting, TIF financial analysis and reporting, and debt issuances.
What We Need From You
We encourage you to apply and let us know more about you. Here is what is required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field AND five years of progressively responsible professional financial management experience preferably with Texas municipal entities; OR Master’s Degree in any of the above fields and three years of professedly responsible professional management experience preferably with Texas municipal entities;
- Training and certification on Public Funds Investment Act is required
- must also have a valid driver’s license
- If you are selected, you are also subject to a background check
What We Have to Offer You
The City of Waco has great benefits to offer you. Because family is an important part of our culture, we offer:
- eleven (11) paid holidays each year
- thirteen (13) vacation days per year
- eighteen (18) vacation days per year after five (5) years of service
- longevity pay after five (5) years
- twelve (12) sick days each year
- paid time to meet with teachers, if you have school-aged children
We believe in providing flexibility to pursue your own personal interests, hobbies, and work-life balance. You will have access to:
- health insurance, which includes telemedicine
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- City provided life insurance for you
- access to additional life insurance for you and your family
- a great employee assistance program (EAP)
- two (2) on-site gyms available to you at no cost
- an on-site Wellness Coordinator, who is a registered and licensed dietitian, personal fitness trainer, and health coach
- City wellness program and activities
Planning for your future is even better with our great retirement program managed by Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). With TMRS an employee:
- contributes 7% of gross pay
- the City of Waco provides a 2:1 match on your contributions
- eligible to retire after twenty (20) years of service, regardless of age
- vesting at five (5) years
Why the City of Waco is the Best
The City of Waco provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state and local laws. We are committed to serving our community; to treating all people with respect; to being professional when communicating with others; and to being helpful and friendly when performing our duties. We are a drug and smoke free workplace.