This position directs, supervises, and coordinates the staff and operations of the Financial Reporting unit in the Financial Reporting Section of Minnesota Management and Budget, Accounting Services Division. This position is responsible for training Financial Reporting unit staff as well as other agencies on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and federal reporting compliance.
The Financial Reporting unit prepares the state’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report, the Federal Financial and Compliance Report (Single Audit), and other federal and state reports. This is accomplished through implementation of new professional directives and pronouncements in accounting and reporting areas as well as ensuring compliance with GAAP and federal regulations, as applicable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related degree with the equivalent accounting coursework.
- Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience or two (2) years providing lead direction (i.e. assigning, guiding and reviewing work) in an accounting environment to professional level staff. Indicate on your resume the number and type of staff you supervised or lead.
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional level experience in preparing and/or auditing complex financial statements or the development or evaluation of internal controls.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven skill in effective communication, specifically verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) strongly preferred.
- Experience in preparing or auditing governmental financial statements.
- Experience researching and interpreting complex accounting and/or federal pronouncements or regulations.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO)