The City of Olympia, Public Works Department is looking for a collaborative, competent and detail-oriented professional to fill the position of Finance and Policy Coordinator. This is a full-time position that will work under the general direction of the Public Works Director and serve as a member of the Public Works Leadership Team. Public Works is comprised of Transportation, General Services, Water Resources, Waste ReSources and Engineering.
The position will oversee budget development and financial management for the Public Works Department, providing support across the department on budget management, utility rate setting, debt management, inventory and asset management and administrative policy and procedures. The position is not supervisory at this time but could supervise staff in the future.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong technical experience in the field of municipal finance, capital and operating budget management, utility rate setting, overhead cost management and development of administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to track, analyze and report on expense, revenue and cashflow for different types of programs and utilities.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability manage multiple projects and meet various deadlines.
- A solid understanding of municipal accounting and inventory control principles, as well as quality improvement processes and performance measurement systems.
- Ability to present issues, develop recommendations for solutions and lead change.
- The ability to clearly and effectively communicate with diverse audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to our Public Works values of Respect, Collaboration, Innovation and Excellence.
- Strong core values for public service, and a commitment to equity and climate being factored into programs and the delivery of services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a combination of personal characteristics including integrity, compassion, courage, enthusiasm, good judgment, and a sense of humor.
- A college degree in Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field plus two years of responsible experience involving finance, policy development, or government budgeting.
- Qualifying work experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.