The Finance Coordinator position is responsible for a wide variety of administrative and financial tasks and their day to day operations related to the Corporate department. Duties include administering accounts receivable, with a minor focus on purchase orders and accounts payable. Additional responsibilities include assisting with payroll related tasks, customer registration and preparing various financial and administrative reports. The position also assists with special projects related to the Corporate and Recreation departments. The position is directly supervised by the Superintendent of Finance & Technology.
Education & Experience:
Employee must be a High School graduate and have at least four years of experience in an office setting. A college bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and/or park district experience would be preferred, but not required. Candidates with no office experience must have a college bachelor’s degree.
Candidate must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license with no license revocations or suspensions within the last three years.
Essential Function and Job Responsibilities
A. General Administration
- Attend professional educational training and remain informed on current trends and issues in related responsibilities.
- Service on various Park District and Department committees.
- Preparation and presentation of written and verbal reports as assigned.
B. Financial Administration
- Monitor and review appropriate financial reports, while working with Departments to implement improvement plans and present written and/or oral findings to the Superintendent of Finance.
- Provide accounts guidance/direction to Departments in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Assist with customer registration at the front desk. This includes program registration, pass sales, and facility rentals. In addition, assist with answering switchboard calls and customer questions, as needed.
- Monthly reconciling Deposit & Operating bank account.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis and revenue to registration software.
- Prepare and mail monthly invoices to customers with balances due for Ice Arena and North Park related events and programs.
- Enter daily ActiveNet receipt summary into Fund Balance, as needed.
- Prepare and enter monthly GL entries to clear all negative cash balances.
- Assist in the preparation of the final audit schedules and year-end accrual workpapers necessary for the comprehensive annual financial report and communicate financial analysis of variances with auditors.
- Assist with the monthly financial report for submittal to the Director of Parks & Recreation for review and monthly revenue and expenditure reports for the Board of Commissioners.
- Assist in the preparation of miscellaneous corporate reports and schedules.
- Assist in the annual Budget preparation, including preparation of the budget document for submission for the GFOA Distinguished Budget Award. Assist in preparing the Budget and Appropriations ordinances.
- Assist with the tax levy, including the tax levy ordinance and preparation of Truth in Taxation documents filed with the County.
- Assist Departments & Managers in establishing and maintaining general ledger accounts from Fund Balance. Coordinate revenue account numbers with payroll and expense line items for Recreation Programs.
- Assist in updating recommended accounting policies and procedures, as needed.
- Coordinate special projects and daily tasks for evening and weekend part-time front desk clerks. This may include special surveys, customer calls, or mailings for the recreation department or other projects needed by the corporate or recreation departments.
- Assist with preparation of monthly telecommunications summary and other vendor comparative purchase summaries as needed.
- Prepare and mail monthly pass expiration notices to fitness center and pool pass holders.
- Perform other related duties and financial functions as assigned.
The normal work week is designated by the employee’s immediate supervisor as necessary to properly perform the position duties. The employee is considered to be on duty whenever a need exists for his/her services. The workweek may exceed 40 hours.
Salary and Benefits:
The position is full-time and salary range is $40,000 to $50,000 / a year dependent on qualifications. The position includes a competitive benefits package, including: • Medical Coverage, PPO or HMO • Dental Coverage • Prescription Coverage • Vision Coverage • Life Insurance • Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund Pension / Defined Benefit Plan (IMRF) • Short- and Long-Term Disability (IMRF) • Paid Time Off • Tuition Reimbursement • Professional Membership Dues Reimbursement • Park District Facility Discounts and Usage Benefits