About Our Team:
The Wake County Finance Department provides sound, innovative financial direction in accordance with regulatory laws and standards, empowering County leadership to perform their responsibilities. The Department strives to be recognized as an innovative leader in Government Finance, by utilizing leading-edge technology to improve business processes, provide timely and accurate financial information, and enhance fiscal accountability. The Department seeks to meet the expectations of County management, the Board of Commissioners, and citizens to conserve tax dollars and provide fiscal transparency. The Department supports and partners with other County departments and external organizations to provide efficient, effective customer service to residents, vendors, and employees.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
Top candidates will demonstrate the ability to be responsive to priorities and utilize objective, systematic processes to independently make decisions, formulate solutions, and seek process improvement. The Finance Director will be responsible for the accuracy and productivity of daily operations of the Finance Department, therefore qualified applicants should show an effective history of personal accountability, organization, and initiative. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of the Fiscal Control Act of North Carolina and areas of expertise in local government finance. Good written and verbal communication skills are essential. As a department that achieves outcomes through supporting and partnering with County management and other departments, this requires leadership that is assertive, collaborative, and resourceful.
The Finance Director will successfully lead efforts aimed at the effective and efficient management of the County’s fiscal resources through:
- Development and implementation of sound policies and procedures
- Utilization of appropriate internal controls
- Ensuring compliance with accounting laws and regulations
- Providing executive direction of the County’s debt management program
- Management of financial and contractual risk
- Accurate reporting of the County’s financial condition
- Maximizing the use of new and innovative technology
This position serves as the department head for the Finance Department (comprised of 5 divisions and staff of 28). The Finance Director will work directly with the Chief Financial Officer and Controller to ensure consistency in planning, evaluating, and implementing timely and efficient services to internal and external customers.
The Finance Director will be accountable for:
- Fostering strong working relationships with County leadership, Internal Audit staff, and other departments to understand organization needs and solve complex financial issues.
- Overseeing the streamlined operations of the Finance Department to ensure that they align with the business objectives of the organization.
- Providing leadership on departmental projects, initiatives, and personnel through the development and management of the Finance Department budget.
- Leading the development, implementation, and administration of County policies, procedures, and business processes to guide and monitor financial transactions.
- Developing and engaging staff to deliver excellent customer service through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention.
- Coordinating, in conjunction with other departments, the County’s risk management efforts.
- Providing idea collaboration and executive direction for the County’s debt management program, in accordance with maintaining the County’s AAA bond ratings.
- Championing best practices, process re-engineering, data analysis, and maximum use of technology.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Eight years of progressive leadership experience in governmental finance or organization-wide financial management, including three years of supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Government Finance Officer’s Association (GFOA) certification
For more information visit http://www.wakegov.com/employment/financedir/Documents/Finance%20Director%20recruitment%20brochure.pdf