The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a visionary local finance professional who is respected for their expertise in local government finance. Known for a strong business mindset and entrepreneurial spirit, this professional will exhibit a natural drive for results. The candidate will have a history of being a collaborative partner, showing initiative and working well across department lines.
- Operates with a high-performance mindset
- Is recognized for high standards and expectations for superior work
- Has a willingness to take reasonable risks and the confidence to introduce new ideas
- Empowers staff and utilizes their skills and capabilities with an appropriate level of trust
- Displays a sincere interest in all aspects of city operations
- Welcomes opportunities to contribute outside the candidate’s areas of expertise
This department head will be an empowering leader with the ability to inspire others to do their best work. Proven success as an effective coach and mentor is required, as succession planning will be a high priority to support career advancement and leadership development of the department staff. This strong and versatile manager will possess the qualities necessary to support a high-performing multigenerational team.
The individual selected will:
- Be an exceptional critical thinker and problem solver who is not constrained by tradition or structure
- Have a demonstrated history of creating and developing innovative solutions to small- and large-scale challenges
- Possess the rare ability to translate complex financial concepts and scenarios into understandable laypersons terms
- Be a proven servant leader who understands the value of a team along with collaborative work and idea recognition
- Be an outstanding and credible communicator who is comfortable engaging and interacting with the community
- Utilize creative ways of engaging and educating stakeholders
- Focus on the long-term health of the organization
- Have a strong background in financial modeling and forecasting
A track record of proactively seeking opportunities to enhance efficiency and streamline systems and processes will be considered favorably. Familiarity with contemporary business practices, technology and tools that maximize individual and organizational capacity, plus experience overseeing a system conversion or major update are desirable. Additionally, previous experience working effectively with elected officials is strongly preferred.
Experience facilitating high-level decision-making and serving as a key internal advisor will help with a smooth transition into the role.