This position manages the Financial Services Division of the Finance Department. The Division provides fiscal support to the County’s Human Services Departments including, Social Services, Public Health, Community Support Services as well as other departments at the County. The services provided include Contract Processing and Monitoring of Fiscal Compliance, Procurement and Invoice Processing, Revenue & Reimbursement, and Budgeting and Financial Reporting. The position coordinates activities for the managed departments and assures the accurate and timely issuance of contracts, processing of transactions, preparation of budgets, issuance of all department financial reports, and the financial monitoring of billings as compared to contracts.
- Finalize division budget
- Provide oversight and direction for internal operations
- Serve as a liaison with outside agencies
- Lead policy making efforts
- Set the climate on issues related to national, state and local policies
- Manage division resources
- Develop and implement strategic initiatives
- Ensure compliance with statutory responsibilities and directives
- Review reports submitted by staff members to recommend approval or to suggest changes
- Prepare and present information to stakeholders to promote services, exchange ideas, or accomplish objectives
- Interpret and explain policies, rules, regulations, or laws to organizations, government or corporate officials, or individuals
- Prepare or present reports concerning activities, expenses, budgets, government statutes or rulings, or other items affecting businesses or program service
- Serve as a liaison between organizations, shareholders, and outside organizations.
- Establish departmental responsibilities and coordinates functions among divisions and worksites
- Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible management experience directly related to the area assigned and one year of supervisory experience or completion of an approved supervisory training program,
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field.
- Combination of relevant education and relevant experience accepted?: Yes
Licenses and Certifications
- CPA or similar certification preferred. Valid NC or SC driver’s license and the ability to obtain and maintain a County Operator Permit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, Government Accounting Standards Board Statements and Technical Pronouncements, North Carolina Statutes for local government finance and pronouncements from NCDHHS, as well as technical pronouncements related to grants and the Single Audit, such as Federal and State Compliance Supplements, Federal OMB Circulars and Federal Yellowbook.
- Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- The structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, and agency rules, and the political climate.
- Expertise in area of assignment.
- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Building Strategic Work Relationships – Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Aligning Performance for Success – Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
- Strategic Decision Making – Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Formal Presentation – Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Leading through Vision and Values – Keeping the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of associate decision making and action.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
- To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements or working conditions. Other duties may be assigned based on business need and the supervisor’s request. Mecklenburg County reserves the right to revise the job description at any time. Designated positions may be required to assist in emergency and/or isaster situations.