Salary: See Position Description
OPENING DATE: 07/21/20
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Under the general direction of the Director of Finance manages, directs, supervises, and coordinates the various financial management and treasury activities of the Department of Finance including accounting and financial reporting, revenue collection, internal and external audits, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, investment management, and debt management. Performs complex accounting work in the maintenance of financial records. Plans and assigns the activities of all professional and clerical staff of the Department of Finance. Analyzes/interprets municipal code and State law. Reviews financial policies and recommends changes, as necessary. Writes staff reports. Serves as the Director of Finance when necessary in their absence. Performs other related duties as required.
Up to $119,820 annually, dependent upon qualifications.
This recruitment is Open Until Filled, with a first review of applications received on or by August 10, 2020. The filing period may close at any time once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The following duties and responsibilities are representative of those typically performed by positions assigned to this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these duties and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
- Supervises the City's accounting system, including revenues, billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger, and financial reporting.
- Reviews and recommends changes in internal control procedures.
- Performs treasury management activities, including the investment of surplus funds and short-term cash flow projection.
- Reviews daily cash position and balances available for temporary investment.
- Audits payroll changes against salary schedule, payroll, timesheets, and provisions of MOUs.
- Supervises processing of purchase orders, invoices, and related documents and budget authorization.
- Supervises fixed assets recordkeeping.
- Reviews ledger balances and prepares adjusting entries as necessary.
- Coordinates annual audits of financial records with external auditors.
- Prepares financial reports for submission to State Controller and other agencies.
- Reviews budget requests submitted by other departments.
- Assists in preparing budgetary information for submission to the City Manager.
- Supervises assigned Finance Department staff.
- Acts for the Director of Finance as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; and
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional governmental accounting experience, including responsibilities for the supervision of both professional and clerical accounting staff.
- Current certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in California.
Knowledge and Skills in:
- Professional accounting principles, practices, and procedures; financial mathematics; automated data processing applications for the performance of professional accounting functions; principles of public financial administration, governmental accounting, and budgeting; principles of supervision and office management.
- Prepare, analyze, reconcile, and explain financial records, reports, and statements; operate a computer terminal and standard office equipment; conduct departmental audits; communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; supervise and train employees; establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and the general public.
- Based upon a review of applications received, those applicants who best meet the requirements indicated above will be invited to continue in the selection process. An oral interview may be conducted by a panel to evaluate each candidate's relevant experience, educational background and training. A short list of the most qualified candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for consideration.
- Persons with disabilities who need special accommodations for the application process should contact the Human Resources Department at (619) 336-4300 or HR@nationalcityca.gov
- The City of National City is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal opportunity and nondiscrimination to applicants and employees without regard to race or ethnicity, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, religion, genetic information, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or whether a disabled, recently separated, other protected or armed forces service medal veteran. Questions can be directed to the Human Resources Department at (619) 336-4300.
Immigration Reform and Control Act requirement:
- All new employees are required by law to submit documentation proving eligibility to work in the United States by completing an Employment Eligibility Form (I-9) within three days of employment.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.nationalcityca.gov
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
140 East 12th Street, Suite A
National City, CA 91950
An Equal Opportunity Employer
FINANCE MANAGER (Financial Services Officer) Supplemental Questionnaire
The supplemental questionnaire is used to further evaluate your experience and education to determine your eligibility for this position. Please answer each question accurately and thoroughly. To be considered for this position, the experience you indicate in your responses to the supplemental questionnaire must also be described, in detail, on the "Work Experience" section of your employment application. Failure to complete the "Work Experience" section of the employment application will result in your application not being considered. Please do not refer your responses to your resume. A resume will not be considered in determining your qualifications.
I have read and acknowledge the instructions stated above.
Do you possess a Bachelor's degree in accounting?
Do you have four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional governmental accounting experience, including responsibilities for the supervision of both professional and clerical staff?
EXPERIENCE: How many years of professional-level accounting experience do you have?
4 - 5 years
6 - 7 years
8 years or more
None of the above
Please describe where you gained your experience. Your response must include: position title, agency, and length of experience (number of years/months).
How many employees have you directly supervised at any one given time?
More than 1, but less than 5
More than 5, but less than 10
More than 10
No supervisory experience
Do you have experience in a Public Agency?
If you answered "Yes" to question 7, please indicate agency, position title, and length of experience (number of years/months). If you answered "No", please indicate "N/A".
Do you have a current Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License in California?
You must attach a current resume with your application.
By clicking here, you acknowledge that a current resume is attached with your application.
APPLICANT'S ACKNOWLEDGMENT - NOTIFICATION VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL (E-MAIL) The City of National City's Human Resources Department uses electronic mail (e-mail) to notify applicants of important information relating to the status and processing of your application. We do so as part of our ongoing efforts to increase operational efficiency, promote the conservation of green resources, and minimize delays and costs. Therefore, as an applicant, you are hereby advised of the following: 1. Ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure, and readily accessible to you. Do not share email addresses. Spam or other filters should be adjusted to accept our emails. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our emails, i.e., for the non-delivery of email or if you fail to check your email box on a timely basis, etc. 2. Read any notices we send carefully and in a timely manner. Follow further instructions if any. We recommend that you print and keep a hard copy of our notices for your records. I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to the above.
* Required Question