The City of West Sacramento is accepting applications on behalf of Yolo County Public Agency Risk Management Authority (YCPARMIA), a public-entity risk pool located in Woodland, CA, for the position of Finance Officer.
This recruitment will close on July 1, 2021, at 11:59pm. Interested candidates should apply immediately by sending a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com.
The annual salary range for the position is currently $69,654- $84,665 annually, but is under review. Placement within the range will be negotiable and based on selected candidate’s qualifications and career experience, including a benefits package which includes CalPERS membership.
Any further questions can be directed to the City of West Sacramento Human Resources Office at (916) 617-4508.
Under general direction of the Executive Director, the Finance Officer is responsible for full-cycle financial accounting and financial reporting functions of YCPARMIA.
As a risk-sharing pool, YCPARMIA provides risk management, insurance, and safety services to County of Yolo, cities of Davis, West Sacramento, Winters, Woodland and Esparto Unified School District as well as several special districts including cemeteries, fire districts, water agencies, etc., within Yolo County. YCPARMIA is organized as a Joint Powers Authority.
Throughout its 41 years of service, the Authority has evolved into a “mature primary pool” providing liability, workers’ compensation and property insurance services to its members.
YCPARMIA is Accredited with Excellence by the California Association of Joint Powers Agencies (CAJPA).
YCPARMIA has received GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for 13 consecutive years for its Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
YCPARMIA also received GFOA’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting for three consecutive years for its Popular Annual Financial Report (PAFR).
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Finance Officer will perform activities including (but not limited to) budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, member billing, personnel record keeping, payroll, member underwriting and rating, actuarial communication, insurance rate setting, recordkeeping, reconciliations, closing, financial statements, reports, support of audit.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Oversee financial functions of the Pool
- Provide Executive Director and the Board of Directors information to help make sound fiscal decisions
- Establish and ensure confidence of the Executive Director, Board of Directors and member agencies
- Anticipate needs and/or questions; prepare answers ahead of time
- Be a resource for staff regarding finance, data analysis, and IT
- Be a resource for staff regarding payroll and benefits
- Generally accepted accounting and auditing principles and their application to a variety of accounting transactions and problems.
- Ordinances, laws, and regulations affecting the financial functions and operations of a joint powers authority, including GASB and GAAP.
- Audit, financial analysis, and research procedures.
- State and Federal payroll laws.
- QuickBooks accounting software.
- MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Access
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Operation, use, and applications of data processing systems and software.
- Report preparation methods using proper English, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Indexing, filing, and record keeping systems.
- Modern office practices, procedures, methods and equipment.
- Work independently with little or no supervision
- Plan, organize, coordinate and perform the financial and accounting functions of the Authority.
- Originate and develop accounting systems, procedures and reporting formats.
- Respond to financial, accounting, and reporting requirements of other government agencies.
- Prepare clearly and concisely, complex financial statements, reports, administrative and financial reports, and requested analyses.
- Develop and explain budget information.
- Analyze and interpret financial and accounting records.
- Establish and maintain tactful, courteous, and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Resolve complex issues.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, in English.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Experience: Five years of increasing responsibility in governmental accounting. Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid driver’s license.
- License: A California CPA license in good standing is desired, but not required.
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job requirements, this is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. YCPARMIA reserves the right to revise or modify the classification duties.
- YCPARMIA makes reasonable accommodations for qualified employees.
- This job is primarily located in a professional office environment. Some remote work may be allowed.
- Occasionally, the employee must work in uncontrolled environments which may include exposure to heat, cold, dust, sun, wind, etc. Environments may include, but are not limited to, warehouses, workshops, storage areas, outdoor areas, construction zones, and parking areas. Conditions in these areas are beyond the direct control of the employer.
- The employee may occasionally be required to provide their own transportation to and from project sites.
- The employee must be able to sit or stand for prolonged periods (90% of the time) at a desk or workstation.
- The employee must occasionally move about to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- The employee must occasionally lift 25 pounds to a height of 48 inches and load items onto shelves.
- In performing their duties, the employee must occasionally move into positions that require bending, crouching, reaching, or ascending / descending ladders or stairs.