The Harris County Budget Management Department (BMD) is seeking an experienced finance professional to build a first-class financial planning analysis function. The FP&A manager will play a vital role in the finances of Harris County departments, services and projects. Specifically, the FP&A manager will be charged with building cash flow forecasts, projecting debt levels, working with departments to plan multi-hundred-million-dollar capital projects, and presenting reports to elected officials and the public. Improved financial planning will allow for more strategic management of the County’s debt and investment program and will maximize the effectiveness of taxpayers’ money for the benefit of Harris County’s residents.
ABOUT HARRIS COUNTY
Harris County is the third-largest county in the country. Its population of more than 4.5 million rivals that of the entire state of Colorado. Harris County is governed by Harris County Commissioners Court. The Court is composed of a County Judge and four Commissioners. Commissioners Court conducts the general business of the County and oversees financial matters. The County Judge is the County’s chief executive and a voting member of Commissioners Court. According to state statute, the County Judge also is the County’s Director of Emergency Management.
The Harris County Judge and Commissioners oversee a $4.3 billion budget that helps fund key county services and institutions. As the main governing body of Harris County, Commissioners Court plays a critical role that is part administrative, part legislative, and part judicial. Its many responsibilities include adopting a budget; setting tax rates; calling for bond elections; building and maintaining county infrastructure such as roads and bridges; and overseeing county courthouses, jails, libraries, parks, and the Harris County Flood Control District. Harris County currently has more than 75 departments with over 15,000 employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Gathers essential financial information about Harris County’s finances from annual financial reports, the Harris County PeopleSoft system, rating agency reports and approved budgets
- Synthesizes information into useful financial forecasts and planning tools which can be used as the basis for decisions
- Works with Harris County departments (such as the Flood Control District and Office of the County Engineer) on the financial needs of large capital projects, to assure the right financing is available at the right time
- Works with the Budget and Performance team in BMD to define the financial resources available each year to be allocated by Commissioners Court
- Reviews and monitors all funds within Harris County government to help locate the best funding source for a project or service
- Prepares and reviews periodic financial reports to inform Commissioners Court and the public about the County’s financial outlook and results
- Performs other duties as assigned and as needed to support the operations of the Budget Management Department
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer https://hrrm.harriscountytx.gov/Pages/EqualEmploymentOpportunityPlan.aspx
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Minimum of (2) years professional work experience directly related to financial planning and analysis
- Significant experience collecting, reviewing, and presenting financial information
- Ability to work quickly, flexibly, and accurately to meet deadlines
- Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft Excel, including financial modeling best practices
- Basic knowledge of accounting concepts
- A Cover Letter and Resume must be attached to the application
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Public Policy or a related field