This position works as part of the Office of Planning Budget and Personnel and reports directly to the Director of Planning, Budget, and Personnel. The Fiscal Affairs Analyst will assist the Director with all the Department’s fiscal matters. The Analyst will assist with the duties of the Account Clerk, and/or Payroll Coordinator in their absence. The work requires developing a thorough knowledge of the City’s payment and revenue procedures and procurement requirements, to ensure compliance with regulations and accuracy in Departmental reporting. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with monitoring and establishing financial controls to monitor expenditures and revenues, including grant and capital funds
- Maintain various detailed spreadsheets and monthly reconciliations and analysis for revenues and expenditures. This includes running PeopleSoft inquiries and reports at division and/or unit level
- Assist with cash and revenue management, including billing, collection, and other third-party payments
- Research and resolve any revenue or expenditure errors or discrepancies
- Prepare salary and overtime projections
- Assist with Department grant applications, monitoring and grant reporting and assist in the maintenance of proper record-keeping of grants
- Assist in the preparation departmental financial documents and schedules
- Preparation of financial reports and appropriation and budget transfer requests.
- Assist in the preparation of the Department’s operating and capital budget
- Assist in the review of Capital and Grant roll forward schedules
- Assist with the Year End close out, including grant reconciliations and revenue reporting
- Help resolve any accounting, financial or system inquiries
- Assist the Director of Planning, Budget, and Personnel with presentation documents
- Assist with the development of the budget narrative as well as data tracking systems including benchmarks and other monthly reports
- Develop internal working documentation for fiscal and administration processes and procedures. Support the development and improvement of departmental procedures and policies relating to fiscal and business operations
- Assist in staff training on the use of the City’s computerized systems
- Provide administrative support, including creating and maintaining meeting minutes, agenda, and other meeting documentation
- Assist the Director with customer inquiries, meeting coordination and special projects as designated and other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or related discipline required or equivalent combination of either education and/or experience.
- Demonstrated successful accounting or financial experience, preferably in a public-sector organization or school district.
- Highly organized and detail oriented individual able to handle multiple tasks while working in both a team environment as well as independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, and planning skills required.
- Working knowledge of computerized financial systems.
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials a plus. Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word and Excel is required.
- Experience in handling confidential and sensitive information a plus.
- The City may require that candidates take and pass a computer skills proficiency test in Excel at the time of hire.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per work week; Flexibility during emergency staffing situations including snow days and other declared emergencies
RATE: $51,919-63,399 annually + excellent benefits
Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 11/04/21. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.