Under direct supervision of a senior auditor or the Inspector General, conducts audits or investigations on small or less complex audits and investigations, and assists in conducting fieldwork on larger and more complex audits and investigations, including Guardianship audits. Provides written summaries of findings for review by the senior auditor or Inspector General. Collects, analyzes, reports, and maintains data and related files. This position is distinguished from others in this classification by the level of experience, education, and training required as well as the complexity of work performed. This position is classified as exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act; however, if the salary paid is below the Federal threshold, the employee will be considered non-exempt and will be paid applicable overtime wages.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Under direct supervision, conducts and completes various phases of the audit process as assigned – including planning, fieldwork, and reporting.
- Examines and analyzes accounting records, operations, policies and procedures. Determines the validity and propriety of financial records; assesses the effectiveness of controls, the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and the compliance with laws, policies, and procedures.
- Performs or assists in performing financial and operational audits in a professional manner. Executes audit procedures and prepares audit workpapers, documenting each step in the audit program. Ensures that information is presented clearly, concisely, accurately, and in logical sequence. Documents and performs work in accordance with The Institute of Internal Auditors’ (The IIA) International Professional Practice Framework, and the Association of Inspectors General’s (AIG) Principles and Standards for Offices of Inspector General.
- Under direct supervision, conducts assigned procedures relating to investigations of fraud, waste, or abuse.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Certification as a, or candidate for, Certified Inspector General Auditor (CIGA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and/or work experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job will be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Knowledge of principles and practices of governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of internal accounting and management controls.
- Knowledge of The IIA’s International Professional Practice Framework.
- Skill in financial calculations, analysis, and reporting.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing work.
- Skill in operation of computer software and hardware sufficient to enter, retrieve, and manipulate data.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports.
- Ability to fluently read, interpret, speak, write, and understand the English Language.
- Ability to interact professionally and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, coworkers, customers, and others.
- Walking, Talking, Hearing, Repetitive motions.
- Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work: (1) when it requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when it requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, at distances close to the eyes, such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
This position description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of essential job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.