Performs a variety of full performance professional quantitative and qualitative financial analysis and accounting work in the development, implementation, and management of the district budget, applying fundamental budgetary concepts, practices, and procedures; maintains the accuracy of the District’s general ledger financial system; applies accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and procedures recommended by the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) to analyze financial information, prepares accurate financial reports, and ensures appropriate accounting internal control procedures. Supports the Finance Director in all key areas of finance responsibility and performs and leads special projects as directed.
- Works under the general supervision of the Finance Director.
- Provides functional supervision to Staff Accountant and/or Finance Specialist on a project-by-project basis while in training or as needed.
- Assists with the management of Finance Department operations. Performs a variety professional-level governmental accounting and performs complex analysis and accounting duties in the preparation, maintenance and processing of accounting records and financial transactions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll functions, HR benefits administration, purchasing and budgetary functions.
- Analyzes, reviews, and approves documents and accounting entries to ensure accuracy of information and calculations for each account of record; maintains the necessary records/files to support transactions related to area of assignment; ensures proper coding of the general ledger account, verifies, accounts payable entries, billing, cash receipts, and adjusting journal entries.
- Coordinates with the Finance Director the preparation of year-end closing; monitors cash flow and cash requirements; participates in financial audits; compile and prepare supporting schedules, work papers and financial reports requested by Finance Director and external auditors
- Prepares, codes, and inputs complex entries into the District’s accounting/payroll/timekeeping systems; compiles and prepares computerized reports/spreadsheets based on District, state, or federal requirements related to area of assignment.
- Plans and carries out budget procedures, including monthly monitoring of department expenditures and revenues and communicating monitoring status to management; provides information to District staff.
- Analyzes and monitors fiscal records utilizing techniques and statistical methods to identify patters, data correlation, and informational forecasting to make recommendations based on conclusions derived from such analyses; prepares computerized reports and spreadsheets; analyzes and verifies monthly financial reports related to area of assignment; adheres to department audit and control procedures; ensures accurate general ledger reporting.
- Assists departments in the preparation of department and division budgets and budget materials; assists in the development of multi-year forecast estimates for division expenditures and revenues; Responds to inquiries of staff and administration regarding District financial policies and procedures for the purpose of providing information and direction to the inquiry; assists with special studies that require data compilation; analyzes and interprets information in oral and written presentations.
- Assists in the fiscal evaluation of proposed legislation/Executive Board proposals; research and respond to budget surveys; assists in the preparation of operating budgets, revenue and expense projections, - and other specialized financial reports and analyses; prepares technical details of the annual District budget; reviews current conditions of approved budgets and expenditures for possible discrepancies.
Senior Accountant, page 2
- Tracks and reports Transit Gross Receipts Tax and federal grant revenue; posts accounts payable and payroll batches, budget transfers, budget loads, and journal voucher entries; prepares budget transfers and ensures that transfers are made in an accurate and timely manner.
- Develops and recommends modifications to the procedures, process or on-line budget and other financial systems; participates in the District’s transit performance measurement and reporting and cost allocation system; ensures strict confidentiality of financial records.
- Analyzes and verifies monthly financial reports related to various assignments; recommends various departmental audit control procedures; ensures accuracy of general ledger reporting; reviews transactions to ensure proper coding of organizational accounts, projects, accounts payable, billing, cash receipts and general ledger entries; assists to monitor fixed asset status.
- Provides budgetary and financial advice to Executive Director, Finance Director and other program managers on budget related matters, such as funding availability, effects of budget changes, status of use of funds, etc
- Performs pre-audits of all payment packets (accounts payable) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and appropriateness prior to payment in compliance with District and state/federal FASB/GASB rules, guidelines and statutes.
- Reconciles federal grant revenues and expenditures; prepares drawdowns for federal grants; prepares a variety of monthly, quarterly, periodic and annual financial, budget and statistical reports.
- Coordinates activities of payroll; review payroll account reconciliations; oversee the maintenance of current employees’ data systems; manage and resolve issues relating to payroll production; monitor the accurate processing of staff hiring’s, promotions and terminations; prepares federal and state payroll tax reporting and payments; adhere to HR/payroll policies and procedures; and support all internal and external audits related to payroll.
- Prepares reports as required by terms of grants, prepares assigned portion of Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), Budget Book, and other reports as required by management. Examples include Indirect and Direct Cost Reports, Cost allocations, the Annual Financial Information Report, the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA), and maintains capital asset reports.
- Assists. with special projects as required and other duties as assigned.