The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) seeks motivated professionals who want to use their talents and skills to make a difference. Our staff are flexible and passionate about enriching people’s lives. If you are mission-driven, dedicated to superior service and support, can diligently work independently and in a collaborative environment, join our team. LAHSA is leading the fight to end homelessness in LA County. Here, not only would your work have a real impact on the community, but we also offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Created in 1993, LAHSA is a joint powers authority of the city and county of Los Angeles. As the lead agency in the HUD-funded Los Angeles Continuum of Care, we coordinate and manage over $300 million annually in federal, state, county, and city funds for programs providing shelter, housing, and services to people experiencing homelessness.
Under the direction of the Associate Director – Budget Unit, the Budget & Financial Planning Manager oversees both Internal and External Budget teams--and their respective Budget Analysts--to conduct long-term budgetary and financial planning related to LAHSA's internal operations and external funding sources. Internally, this position oversees the management and adjustment of LAHSA Department and Program Budgets, which use "Indirect" or "Administrative" funding. Externally, this position determines and manages how much funding received from External funding sources is "passed through" LAHSA as "Direct" or programmatic funding into various Subrecipient Contracts' Budgets, as well as how much is retained by LAHSA as "Administrative" or "Indirect" funds to operate its Departments and Programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- In consultation with the CFO, Director of Finance, and Associate Director – Budget Unit, develop Internal and External budgetary policies and procedures
- Serve as a liaison and main Point-of-Contact between the Finance Department and other LAHSA Departments when creating and finalizing Department Budgets
- Serve as a main Point-of-Contact between LAHSA and its Funders when determining and finalizing LAHSA's annual Budget Requests to each Funder and Funding Source
- Direct and coordinate Internal and external budgeting and planning activities, including budget formulation, monitoring, and presentation
- Direct the compilation of administrative, programmatic, direct, and indirect funding data used to prepare budget allocations, cost allocation plans, and justify funding requests or adjustments related to various programs, subrecipient contracts, and strategies
- Reconcile and transmit long-term management priorities through the assignment and delegation of work to Unit staff to ensure progress on ongoing initiatives while preventing any disruptions or delays in the day-to-day workflow completion
- Develop Internal and External Budget tools, procedures, and templates reflecting the business needs of LAHSA Departments and LAHSA Funders
- Work with Administration & Grants Management Unit personnel (and relevant Department Directors) to correct coding issues or revise LAHSA Department and Program Budgets when necessary
- Work with the Contracts Unit to lead LAHSA's efforts to encourage Funders and external stakeholders to adopt more uniform, standardized, and favorable budgetary language and policies in Contracts
- Work with Administration & Grants Management Unit personnel (and Procurement & Performance Management Department personnel) to correct coding issues or work to revise contracts and budgets when necessary
- Assist in the administration and management of the annual budget process
- Monitor spending against budgets, and perform corresponding regular budget updates
- Train staff on Internal and External budgetary procedures and tools to enable them to provide ongoing technical assistance throughout the budget process
- Prepare and distribute monthly Internal and External Budget Reports to relevant internal stakeholders; these reports should provide analysis regarding expense coding
- Analyze salary expenses and provide reports to the Human Resources Department
- Examine accounting documents to determine if Internal expenditures are in accordance with specific eligibility or allowability criteria associated with various funding sources
- Oversee the maintenance and accuracy of LAHSA's Consolidated Funding Matrix
- Prepare Internal Budget analyses detailing projected Internal spending versus the Commission-Approved Budget to help inform Executive Management decisions
- Prepare External Budget analyses derailing projected spending on External funding sources versus the Contractually-Approved Funding Allocations to help inform Executive Management decisions
- Prepare monthly Budget vs. Actual (BvA) Reports and Analyses of expenditures by-Funding Source, as well as LAHSA's Internal expenditures by-Department and by-Program, to present to the Commission
- Participate in the evaluation of proposals for funding in response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
- Participate in the review and approval of all finance-related sections of Contracts, RFPs, and technical submissions for LAHSA subcontractors
- Assumes other responsibilities as directed by Management
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Budgeting Concepts, practices, and procedures
- Team-based project management
- Homeless funding regulations, requirements, and procedures, including the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Supportive Housing Program, Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG), and Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook)
- Advanced proficiency in information retrieval and usage from the Internet
- Knowledge of fund accounting software (preferably Abila MIP)
- Applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures related to procurement, administration of contracts, grants, loans, and cost-allocation plans, or other similar agreements and processes
Training & Experience
- Proven professional experience and educational background.
- Effective November 1, 2021, LAHSA will require proof of vaccination for all employees. This requirement is in response to the public health emergency and is intended to reduce the spread of COVID-19 among LAHSA employees, our stakeholders and those we serve – it will remain in effect for the duration of the public health emergency.
- Employees may apply for an exemption if they cannot be vaccinated due to complicating medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs. If the exemption is approved, then the employees will be subject to weekly COVID-19 testing.
- Appointments are typically made between the minimum and the midpoint of the range, depending on qualifications.
- Applicants may make a reasonable accommodation request for this job by calling the Human Resources Department at (213) 683-3333; or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.