Dona Ana County Finance Department
Las Cruces, California
Wage/Salary: Min $ 29.79 Max $50.92
Date Posted: Friday, May 26, 2023
Date Closing: Tuesday, July 4, 2023
URL for this job:
This posting closes at 5:00pm on the closing date.
- Oversees, manages and directs the County's central purchasing functions. Ensures the technical and implementation procurement compliance with fixed assets.
- Dependability, attendance, punctuality and a commitment to do the job right are essential elements of every job.
- Develops and coordinates comprehensive county-wide, central purchasing, review and approval programs for utilization which involve creating new techniques, procedures and monitoring of the purchase order system;
- Approves all purchase orders;
- Oversees the County’s Purchasing Card (P-card) program and is the main contact for setup and training of P-cards and other county cards.
- Provides procurement and purchasing card training to employees of all departments on regular or as needed basis;
- Administers the bid process for goods and services which includes developing quotes, selecting bidders, advertising and distributing bid forms, attending openings, tabulating bids and recommending/approving awards, and notifying unsuccessful bidders of the bid results; Meets with vendors to explain bid process and review bids received; Responsible for developing an evaluation committee comprised of qualified county employees to review bids received; will then make recommendations to County Commissioners for the best overall bid;
- Assists Legal Department and/or department directors in developing and reviewing contracts; implements and monitors contract completion and compliance; may assist with over site of annual inventory; participates in annual audit process;
- Responsible for development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures for the department; Establishes priorities within support functions, and identifies resource needs;
- Gathers and compiles information and prepares reports and analyses in response to problems;
- Resolves disputes or problems that may arise with staff, departments, and vendors;
- Insures the development and implementation of purchasing review and approval programs which result in economical use of county funds while meeting specific needs for goods and services;
- Prepares and maintains departmental budget; calculates various payments; maintains automated logs, and assists in generating a variety of reports and documents;
- Oversees procurement for third-party organizations for vehicles and other acquisitions whether through grants, appropriations or other funds monitored by Doña Ana County;
- Prepares annual 1099 and obtains W9 forms from all vendors;
- Oversees shipping/receiving and mail room employees’ work;
- Responsible for knowing and abiding by all department and County policies and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Education. Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
- Experience. Four (4) years’ experience in a responsible procurement position, including one (1) year of supervisory experience. Prior government procurement experience preferred.
- Education/Experience substitution. In accordance with County policy.
- Licenses/Certifications. Certified Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) preferred. If the hired candidate is not a CPO, must be able to obtain within one (1) year of employment.
- Other (e.g., post-offer medical exam, polygraph, background check, driver's license record, etc.). Background check
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Must have knowledge of the application of principles and practices of effective supervision; personnel management, training and performance evaluation; methods to analyze commodity requirements, interpret market prices and trends; principles and procedures of budget preparation and control; financial record keeping and reporting; Business English, spelling, grammar.
- Must have skill in computer operation and the appropriate software to include word processing, database processing, and spreadsheets; communicate effectively, in oral or written form; establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.