Nature of Work
This is an advanced professional analytical position which requires an understanding of the relationship of data to the measurement of performance in achieving department and City-wide strategic goals or objectives. This includes monitoring, gathering, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting on various financial or similar types of operational data and administrative components across the organization. The individual will be an effective collaborator who knows how to develop key performance indicators (KPI), develop and deliver easily understandable reports, and help the organization leverage data and technology in creative ways to advance the City’s strategic plan. The work is performed under the managerial direction of the department head, or designee, and the employee is expected to work in teams focused on all aspects of financial reporting and accountability across the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Maintains management of open data platforms to ensure transparency of City budget, expenditures, and capital investments.
- Interface with the fiscal/budget team and department personnel in the development of Citywide performance measurement systems, metrics (Key Performance Indicators), and dashboards
- Integrate budget and financial information with performance management reporting and the City’s Strategic Plan
- Summarize, discuss, and present data in accessible ways that may include visualizations, graphics, dashboards, narratives (storyboards), and numerical charts/summaries that are customized to various stakeholders and audiences.
- Serve on the City’s data governance team and provide guidance and support to the organization on how best to utilize and integrate available data for the purposes of improving performance, services, and transparency.
- Develops cash flow monitoring and reporting procedures.
- Creates dashboards by function for standardized reporting and succinct presentation.
- Develops a “team” approach to financial and performance reporting utilizing resources from the Budget Office, Comptroller, and Innovation/Continuous Improvement team, along with departments working in conjunction with departmental resources and management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Required Education and Experience
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, accounting, data science, or related field
- Five years of experience involving management/budget analysis, performance management, accounting, and/or financial reporting.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Desired Requirements
- Significant experience working on a professional work team
- Experience with the development of business efficiency process techniques such as LEAN, A3, and Six Sigma.
- Other Necessary Qualifications
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Basic knowledge of fund accounting, costing, and forecasting models.
- Knowledge of the principles of performance management, KPIs, and financial reporting.
- Experience working in reporting software (Examples: Microsoft SSRS, Tableau, Power BI, etc.) as well as experience with T-SQL queries
- Ability to work independently and consolidate reporting with teams of professionals.
- Ability to effectively communicate across the organization and work with departmental managers to develop financial reporting structures.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to utilize available financial software packages to effectively complete financial objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, representatives from other municipalities, professional service firms, and the general public.