The City of Monrovia is looking for a highly motivated and results driven Principal Accountant that is detail oriented and has a passion for excellence. In this position, the selected individual must be a problem solver who can exercise considerable independent judgement relating to the development and deployment of accounting procedures, processes and policies. Candidates who have the ability to communicate across wide-ranging audiences with a positive attitude, and can envision new ways to improve and enhance services and processes, will be successful in this role. If you’re intrigued by this opportunity you should apply now!
Located 20 miles northeast of Los Angeles and nestled at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, Monrovia is home to nearly 40,000 active and engaged residents. This growing City distinguishes itself from other communities with its dynamic small-town charm and a collection of high-tech industry. Monrovia’s heritage can be seen in our history, diverse population, tree-lined streets, historic buildings and award-winning downtown. From beautiful open spaces to top-rated education, a world of amenities is available in Monrovia.
THE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES DEPARTMENT:
The Administrative Services Department has 15 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $2.9 million. The Administrative Services Department is responsible for a broad range of activities, including budgeting, financial accounting and reporting, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, utility billing, debt administration, grant accounting, and cash management functions for the City. This department provides essential services for operational departments and the citizens of Monrovia. The goal of the department is to safeguard the City’s assets, find solutions to operational challenges, and financially prepare the City for the future.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of ongoing responsibilities and projects, but not limited to:
- Take a lead role in coordinating the development of the annual citywide operating budget and capital improvement budget and assist in preparing long-range financial plans;
- Oversee the administration and distribution of monthly budget performance reports, assist with budget inquiries, and provide instructions for budget input and preparation;
- Lead and oversee financial subsystems in assigned areas of responsibility, including accounts payable and purchase order processing;
- Assist with the completion of the City’s annual audit process and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report;
- Assist in the planning, preparation, development, and control of the City’s accounting systems, and preparation of financial reports and statements;
- Assist with various grant compliance audits; and
- Supervise, train, motivate and evaluate staff.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, abilities and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the qualifications would be:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field and four (4) years increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal accounting and/or budgeting, including one (1) year in a supervisory capacity. CPA and MA/MS is highly desirable.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License and a good driving record.