Salary Range: 104,264.00 to 156,400.00 This is an Exempt (Salaried) position.
Pay rates are based on education, skill, experience level and internal equity. Internal equity considerations include an assessment of the applicant’s salary history and qualifications in comparison to the market rate and requirements for the job.
At Mecklenburg County, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are with support, inclusive culture, and technology to become the best version of you. We’re counting on YOUR unique voice and perspective to help Mecklenburg County become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
The Finance Department is a team of professionals that are tasked with functions including capital and debt planning, investments, accounting, payroll, procurement, grant management and payables along with providing additional fiscal support to departments across the County.
Provide leadership and oversight of Mecklenburg County's departments in the procurement of goods and services, ensuring all applicable laws, guidelines, policies and procedures are followed. This position is responsible for directing the activities and processes within procurement division.
- Manage the procurement team and processes involved by properly delegating duties and monitoring results
- Responsible for the total sourcing spectrum from business need identification to contract execution
- Develop and implements sourcing plans and tactics to effectively manage the assigned portfolio and associated activities, which includes spend analysis, financial modeling, direct negotiations, legal collaboration, and contract integration with electronic tools
- Monitor performance metrics such as compliance, customer service, invoice accuracy, delivery reliability, and quality
- Develop and implement sourcing plans and tactics for assigned portfolio to effectively manage associated activities
- Develop and maintain product, service and contractual expertise within assigned categories
- Oversee proposals and quotes and ensure items appropriately completed
- Monitor and analyze a variety of financial records and data sources
- Prepare related special reports and studies, including cost studies, budgetary reports and related documentation
- Provide professional procurement assistance and guidance to other departments in planning and monitoring their purchasing operations
- Responsible for development of Procurement staff
- Minimum of seven years of experience in purchasing and the related areas of sourcing metrics, budget control, performance analysis, and contract management; including two years of supervisory experience; two years of experience utilizing intermediate features of Microsoft Excel to conduct financial analysis; two years of experience using electronic procurement/vendor management software.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Statistics, Economics or Supply Chain Management.
- Combination of relevant education and relevant experience accepted?: Yes
Licenses and Certifications
- May require a valid North Carolina or South Carolina Driver's License
- May need to obtain and maintain a Mecklenburg County Operator's Permit
- May require certification as a Certified Public Professional Officer (CPPO)
- Master's Degree in a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- The structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, and agency rules, and the political climate
- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Talking to others to convey information effectively
- Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions
- Aligning Performance for Success: Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives
- Building Partnerships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units or organizations to help achieve business goals
- Building Strategic Work Relationships: Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics
- Collaboration: Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships
- Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the information provided
- Formal Presentation – Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Leading through Vision and Values: Keeping the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of associate decision making and action
- Strategic Decision Making: Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values
- Proficient in various computer applications and software including Microsoft Office Suite
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements or working conditions. Other duties may be assigned based on business need and the supervisor’s request. Mecklenburg County reserves the right to revise the job description at any time. Designated positions may be required to assist in emergency and/or disaster situations.
Mecklenburg County requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new Mecklenburg County employees.