Are you a professional in the field of Finance and Accounting? Are you a self-starter who excels at working with others to provide excellent and strategic accounting services in preparing financial reports that can provide important insights for key stakeholders? Are you excited to work with a dynamic team? If so, the City of El Cerrito welcomes your application!
What's The Role?
The City is recruiting to fill (1) vacancy as Senior Accountant. We are seeking a collaborative, motivated, flexible, and creative professional to join the Finance Department. Under general direction from the Finance Director, performs a variety of professional level accounting duties involved in preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying, and reconciling complex financial accounts, transactions, statements, ledgers, records, audits, and reports; assists in the research, preparation, and reconciliation of assigned budgets, coordinates audits and assembles and prepares audit responses, and plan and prepare accountings for yearend close, rollovers/carry forwards and reconciliation of year open and ongoing modifications; manages cash accounts including: petty cash funds, cash flow, and investment transfers; provides highly responsible and complex technical assistance to management and performs related work as required. The Senior Accountant also provides supervision to multiple professional and administrative staff, serves as a subject matter expert, is responsible for researching legislative and funding requirements and developing financial policies and procedures to assure compliance and organizational alignment, and is held accountable for complete proficiency.
- Telework options; schedule flexibility where possible
- City Paid Benefits (Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program)
- CalPERS Retirement (2.7% at 55 for Classic members & 2% at 62 for PEPRA members)
- Holiday Pay, Birthday and Floating Holiday Pay, and Mgt. Admin Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Training/Conference Opportunities
- Deferred Comp Plan Options
- Discounts on Recreation Programs
- Access to the Wellness Programs
Are We A Match?
- You are adaptable, flexible, and offer solutions in ambiguous situations
- You are able to work in partnership with your colleagues and other Departments, to make sure their needs are met, also having great interpersonal skills!
- You enjoy analyzing and resolving complex challenges; can problem solve and think “outside the box” to achieve results
- You are detail-orientated and organized to keep track of multiple and varying projects the City is working on
- You enjoy contributing to a positive work environment that fosters motivation, collaboration, coaching, and engagement of division staff
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (DUTIES)
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs professional accounting work in accordance with a prescribed automated and manual accounting system and generally accepted principles of accounting (GAAP).
- Maintains and supervises the maintenance of general ledger and subsidiary ledgers of various funds; performs year-end review of accounts, prepares adjusting and closing entries, and prepares year-end financial statements; reconciles information produced by automated reporting systems with accounting records.
- Analyzes and reconciles expenditure and revenue accounts; processes transfers of expenditures and appropriations; prepares, analyzes, and verifies statements of financial condition, including schedules of balance sheets, investments, cash balances, fund balances, revenue, expenditure and statistical reports.
- Assists outside auditors and explains City policies and procedures; may perform audits of business license fee collections, franchise fee collections, transient occupancy taxes, real property transfer tax receipts and other revenues and fees collected throughout the City by various departments.; may perform internal control auditing of departmental revenue collections and petty cash funds.
- Oversees and participates in the annual budget process for assigned areas including preparing and reconciling budget proposals, expenditure, and revenue impacts; may make presentation on the budget process.
- Participate in and assume responsibility for a computerized financial and information system; identify, develop, and implement new automated applications as needed to facilitate effectiveness and efficiency.
- May assist with investments, portfolio management and cash management, debt management, new financing, annexations and subdivisions and revenue and expense projections.
- May train and provide work direction to Finance Department employees.
- May provide accounting training to City employees.
- Assist the Finance Director at budget reviews with City departments.
- Prepare quarterly budget reports in Excel and analyze and resolve variances as needed with department heads.
- Coordinates the annual external audit.
- Researches, analyzes, prepares and maintains redevelopment agency financial reports, debt service payments, recognized obligation payment schedules (ROPS), and City-wide debt management reporting.
The City is looking for a creative, team-oriented, proactive individual who can clearly demonstrate that they have the following background and competencies. Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing with subordinates, coworkers, management, the public and others contacted in the course of work. Prepare clear and concise written reports and make effective public presentations.
- Exercise effective independent judgement to plan, direct, and evaluate the activities of the accounting function.
- Understand and apply relevant policies, principles, laws, rules, regulations and procedures and propose and plan operational and system changes to maintain ongoing compliance.
- Independently perform the most difficult professional accounting assignments and identify, analyze, and evaluate complex accounting, financial, budgeting, and statistical data; prepare, maintain and reconcile accounting and financial data, ledgers, accounts, and reports; prepare financial statements, balance sheets, and cost allocation and expense reimbursement reports and claims.
- Evaluate, develop, and maintain current all relevant policies and procedures for effective and efficient Finance Department operations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, vendors, suppliers, external agencies.
- Plan, organize and set priorities for assigned work and plan and direct the work of others.
- Maintain physical and mental capacities appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Use various computer applications and software in support of accounting activities.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, auditing, business administration, finance, economics or a closely related field. CPA preferred.
- Five (5) years of professional experience in accounting or auditing including supervising/managing subordinate professional accounting personnel with primary responsibility for full scope of accounting and financial reporting functions for a major department/area of responsibility OR
- Possession of a Master's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting, or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License prior to appointment and the ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver’s License.