Organization: CF - Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of our team!
Are you interested in a great opportunity that allows your outstanding financial and accounting skills to support world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges? In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. Join our team today!
Berkeley Lab’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is seeking a Senior Accountant to join our dynamic team and become an integral part of the department’s finance and accounting operations. This position is responsible for a broad range of activities including: banking, property accounting, internal/external reporting, auditing, compliance and special projects.
What you Will Do:
- Process and analyze financial transactions and related processes.
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations.
- Prepare financial statement reporting.
- Analyze financial statement variances and identify root causes.
- Responsible for monthly and year-end close related activities.
- Develop and implement solutions to complex accounting problems by in-depth evaluation and analysis.
- Leverage technical knowledge and available research tools when formulating and executing financial objectives or determinations.
- Develop, plan and implement policies, techniques and methods, in accordance with Laboratory policies, FAR, Department of Energy (DOE) acquisition regulations, University of California and/ or government regulations, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Utilize computer databases (PeopleSoft FMS) to obtain and analyze complex financial information and confer with computer programmers to design and develop reports.
- Participate in end user acceptance testing of any new system functionality, if any, prior to implementation.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Devise new approaches, perform assignments and make decisions with high consequence of error with limited direction from management.
- Complete complex financial statement analysis including responsibility for various general ledger account reconciliations; acting in the capacity as preparer or reviewer.
- May lead and direct the activities of others.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business, and/or the equivalent of a minimum of 4 years related experience in financial and/or cost accounting.
- Knowledge of and experience in interpreting and applying financial regulations, policies and procedures including the use of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in performing financial functions including: preparation and posting of journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, financial statement analysis, financial report preparation and variance analysis.
- Advanced user in financial databases, such as Excel and PeopleSoft.
- Experience in creating standard and ad hoc reports and presentations, including the use of charts and graphs by applying skills to research, interpret, analyze, compile, and present data and information.
- Ability to independently devise new approaches, perform assignments, and make decisions
- Strong organizational, analytical, decision making, and problem solving skills. Ability to multi-task and deliver timely accurate and complete work on tight deadlines.
- Clear and concise communication skills (both written and verbal) with the ability to effectively prepare and deliver financial briefings, documentation, reports, and provide financial advice to Laboratory personnel, and/or other external organizations and agencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to explain, negotiate, persuade and build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Public accounting/auditor.
- Advance degree in accounting, finance or business.
- Experience in government accounting, including knowledge of cost accounting standards (CAS) and / or other federal regulations.
- Independently solve complex issues requiring mature judgment, discretion and tact.
- Experience with SOX or A-123.
Desired Federal Regulations knowledge/experience:
- Knowledge of Laboratory, UC and DOE/Federal policies and procedures related to financial management.
- Knowledge of Laboratory systems, including FMS (PeopleSoft 9.2), eSRA and Cognos Reporting.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled
- Work for Berkeley Lab with 13 Nobel prize winners!
- Comprehensive benefits package.
- Full time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- Position will be remote initially due to COVID-19. Once the Bay Area shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, work will be primarily performed at the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) — Bldg. 971, 6401 Hollis St., Emeryville CA or may be performed locally with a flexible work arrangement (depending on business needs).
- Position is limited to individuals residing in the United States.
- Position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=209965 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab strongly recommends that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.