The City of Torrance is recruiting for a Senior Business Manager to join the Finance Department's Budget Team!
If you are looking to innovate and implement new budgeting practices and want to be part of this team, we invite you to apply.
The Finance Department is a dynamic organization whose mission is to protect the City's assets while providing and supporting the Torrance community with sound financial advice in a timely, cost effective and professional manner. Managing the department's $6.0 million General Fund budget, $19.4 million Self-Insurance budget and day- to-day operations is skillfully executed by 41 staff members. The Finance Director assists the City Manager with the Operating and Capital Improvement Plan budgets, serves as advisor to the Land Management Team and Investment Committee, and presents to the City Council an annual audited statement of the City's financial condition prepared in accordance with governmental reporting standards promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
Responsibilities of the Finance Department includes:
- Accounts Payable
- Billing Collection
- Business License
- Central Cashiering
- Debt Financing
- Financial Reporting
- Risk Management
- Worker's Compensation
Under direction of the Assistant Finance Director, the Senior Business Manager-Budget will assist in the planning, organization and direction of the City's operating and capital budgets. The position will be responsible for, but is not limited to:
- Collaborating effectively with City Departments to develop the City's operating and capital budgets;
- Assist, coordinate and complete the City's budget document;
- Monitoring the budget regularly throughout the year, identifying trends and areas of concern to proactively address/correct timely;
- Managing the third party budget software program;
- Identifying opportunities and implementing improvements to enhance the management and accountability of the City's budget;
- Streamline the timely reporting of the City's budget status throughout the year;
- Budget analytics to identify opportunities and monitor compliance.
The Senior Business Manager will also supervise the activities of assigned subordinate personnel; manage third party contracts; make presentations and recommendations to City Council; and act as the liaison between Finance and other City Departments to maintain a sound budget and advance Finance initiatives as part of the City's strategic plan.
Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way of obtaining the necessary knowledge and abilities is:
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Public Administration or a related field; and
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible administrative or analytical experience.
- Successful candidates will possess the following:
- Strong critical thinking and organizational skills;
- Experience using budgeting software or similar programs;
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills;
- Minimum 2 years related financial experience;
- High degree of initiative and flexibility;
- Ability to complete multiple priority assignments;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Familiarity with traditional budgeting frameworks;
- Resourcefulness and reliability; and
- Ability to work independently and shift priorities as needed.
HOW TO APPLY & EXAM PROCESS
Interested candidates must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. Application submissions will be accepted on a continuous basis until the position is filled. First review of applications will be those received by July 4, 2022.
Only those candidates whose experience best meets the needs of the City and the Department will be invited to participate in an interview (weighted 100%). The interview process will be conducted virtually and is tentatively scheduled for July 13, 2022, if a sufficient number of qualified applications are received by July 4, 2022.