ABOUT THIS POSITION
During the current health crisis, the majority of job interviews will be held by video or audio conference. In person recruitment and selection processes will be conducted in accordance with recommended safety guidelines (masks, social distancing, and disinfecting between candidates).
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Forbes magazine has named the City of Phoenix as one of America’s top 500 best large employers and the Top 20 best employers in the state.
The City's Finance Department is seeking to fill a Senior Financial Reporting Accountant – Accountant IV position in the Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) Division. This position is responsible for a diverse range of finance-related duties, to include: preparing/reviewing/recording accounting transactions; the coordination and preparation of annual financial reports; operating under multiple deadlines; and providing technical guidance and analysis to management on complex financial matters.
- Financial reporting for both enterprise and governmental funds.
- Oversight of the external audit process for multiple annual reports.
- Assist with the implementation of new governmental accounting standards.
- Supervise professional accounting staff.
- Complete reconciliations that requires recording the applicable journal entries in the accounting system.
Other duties may include the financial management of fixed assets, reporting on intergovernmental grant programs, joint venture accounting, accounting for City-owned housing properties, cost accounting, fiduciary accounting, and communicating with multiple departments/divisions related to financial reporting matters. Positions may also be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the City's financial system transactions and preparing various financial reports.
The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of governmental accounting standards and their application in the day-to-day operations of a large municipal organization.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
$61,859 - $94,203 annually. Candidates may be hired above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. For more details, visit:
Unit 7 – Supervisory/Professional Benefits https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit Category/007.pdf
Pension Information https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Pension Information 3.15.2021.pdf
- Five years of professional accounting experience, including at least one year in a supervisory capacity.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, finance, or a related degree.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- The City job description can be found here. https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/JobDescriptions/03260.pdf
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here. https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Pre-Employment Information 3.15.2021.pdf
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience with the application of governmental accounting standards.
- Experience preparing Annual Comprehensive Financial Reports.
- Experience in using financial computer applications such as the SAP financial management system, or other related financial enterprise resource management systems.
- Experience with supervising professional accounting staff.
- Experience working with both internal and external auditors.
- Experience working with a budgetary and full accrual accounting
- Experience with presenting financial data to management.
- Possess or plans to obtain a professional accounting certification, such as the certified public accountant license (CPA).
- First review of applications will occur the week of June 14, 2021. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on June 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m., whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Explore other Employment Opportunities https://www.phoenix.gov/employment with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications https://action.phoenix.gov/j1.pl?a06431395e1fce54d08f3ce16e85899d7b48a2baf2efe0aae72c6d761f480cb0 about new employment opportunities.
- Request assistance applying for this job by contacting our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
- Accountant IV, Job Code: 03260, ID# 40153
- City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
- City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.