The Accounting Division at the City of Sugar Land has an opening for a Sr. Accounts Payable Specialist. This position is responsible for performing various accounts payable functions and providing support to the Accounts Payable Supervisor.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- Process invoices, vendor disbursements, and employee disbursements for timely payments, as well as process all Capital Improvement Project (CIP) construction invoices.
- Implement and maintain spreadsheets for tracking of recurring and late invoices.
- Understand and implement the record retention requirements of invoices paid with bond funds to meet the requirement of Post Debt Issuance Compliance law.
- Understand, implement and file the Unclaimed Property Report with the State annually for uncashed vendor/customer payments/refunds.
- Collaborate with departments to ensure unnecessary purchase orders are closed in order to generate accurate encumbrance reports each month.
- Monitor the accounts payable email box and forward invoices/inquiries to the appropriate staff.
- Prepare month end reports, such as Retainage Payable, Accounts Payable Other, and Prepaid, by the designated due date.
- Work closely with vendors and City staff to resolve invoice problems.
- Prepare and mail form 1099 per IRS reporting requirements.
- Provide assistance to the city departments with questions about general ledger accounts.
- Assist with documenting procedures and training AP liaisons/staff.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Required to work as an essential employee before, during and after an emergency or disaster, whether natural or acts of war.
- Stay abreast of, and comply with, all City and departmental policies and procedures.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Director of Finance or other designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university; Minimum of three years performing accounts payable duties; Experience in municipal accounting area preferred; Tyler Technology (Munis) experience a plus.
Please visit our employment page at www.sugarlandtx.gov/jobs