The purpose of this position is to plan and direct all County financial management, accounting and reporting functions according applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and regulations. The Director of Finance leads the County's financial systems and is responsible for managing all County financial activities, recommending investment policy to the governing body and several other functions. The work is performed under the general direction of the Director-Administration.
This position is an appointment of the County Executive and requires advice and consent of the County Council. The position is not covered by the County Merit System. *The St. Charles County Charter requires that within one hundred twenty (120) days of appointment, each department head shall be a resident of St. Charles County.
- Assists the Director-Administration, County Executive and Council in preparation and administration of the annual budget and annual capital plan.
- Prepares cash flow projections, revenue and expenditure forecasts. Monitors activity throughout year to ensure compliance with approved budget.
- Analyzes financial activities and advises County Executive, County officials and department heads as requested.
- Oversees general accounting, accounts payable, payroll processing, cash receipting, grant administration and review and payment of debt service obligations.
- Establishes and revises policies and procedures regarding purchasing, receipt, disbursement, payroll, fleet management, accounting and reporting of all County funds.
- Coordinates annual external-contracted audit and provides auditors with requested information. Directs annual report and financial statement preparation.
- Ensures best return on invested County funds according to applicable guidelines. Reviews cash flow requirements and makes short-term investments. Prepares investment reports.
- Oversees asset tracking and disposition through authorized dispositions throughout the year.
- Reviews and approves tax reports, bank reconciliations and insurance billings.
- Approves Finance Department expenditures.
- Hires, trains and directs Finance Department employees.
- Oversees acquisition, maintenance, repair and disposal of fleet vehicles.
- Oversees administration of general liability, workers compensation and health self-insurance programs.
- Procure fully insured providers.
- Oversees Office of Registrar.
- Determines optimal financing options for variety of acquisition, construction or refinancing debt issuances, coordinates financial advisory and document processing.
- Maintains knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles; banking procedures; cash management principles; money market instruments and government securities; municipal finance and applicable state statutes, charter and ordinances.
- Oversees the Family Arena.
- Serves as the primary contact with Nationwide for administration of County 457b and 401a retirement plans. Coordinates activities of the Retirement Plan Advisory Committee.
- Writes reports and correspondence.
- Must have a bachelor's degree in Business, with a major in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent undergraduate degree.
- Master's or Doctorate in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or equivalent advanced degree.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- 10 years of experience in executive level financial operations of a government entity, private corporation or non-profit entity.
- Must, within one hundred twenty (120) days of appointment, be a resident of St. Charles County.
This is a full-time position which includes a full range of benefits including Paid Time Off, Extended Medical Leave, Holidays, Employee Health, Dental, Life, Disability, Retirement, and Tuition Assistance programs.
TO APPLY: Click APPLY in the upper left corner. (Applications that are printed, emailed, or faxed will not be accepted.)
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled or a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied.
St. Charles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. St. Charles County is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions.