The City of San Bernardino is now accepting applications for the position of Treasury Manager in the Finance Department!
The Finance Department is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual with finance or accounting experience to manage the daily operations of the City's Treasurer's Division. The Treasury Manager will be responsible for overseeing the accounting activities for investments, all debt instruments, and all cash account reconciliations. As the manager, the incumbent will be responsible for a team of three staff members which include two Accounts Payable Technicians and one Treasury Accounting Technician. Previous experience with investments and liquidity management is preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, controls, manages, and evaluates the work of City Treasurer staff; participates in establishing and implementing operational plans and initiatives to meet department goals and objectives; coordinates and integrates department functions and responsibilities to achieve optimal efficiency and effectiveness; monitors annual budget.
- Plans and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; provides or recommends compensation and other rewards to recognize performance; takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies.
- Oversees the accounting activities for investments, all debt instruments, and all cash account reconciliations.
- Performs the more difficult and complex financial duties of the work unit including the preparation of monthly investment reports, and approval of accounts payable.
- Assigns, monitors, evaluates, and provides professional and technical guidance to staff engaged in the City’s debt administration, including the oversight of required disclosures, communication with bond counsel and underwriters; and the management of related contracts.
- Manages the daily operations of the City's Treasurer's Office; establishes and maintains sound internal controls over all cash and securities; oversees the recording and balancing of treasury receipts; ensures transactions are audited for accuracy, reviews schedules for completeness and accuracy, prepares summaries for the Finance Department, and works with the Accounting Manager and outside auditors on year end closing.
- Performs daily cash management analyses and makes short-term cash investments in accordance with City policy; determines cash available for longer-term investment; advises the Deputy Director of Finance on pending large cash disbursements.
- Executes, tracks, and records investment transactions, verifies trade confirmations in the City's custodial account; maintains, generates, and updates comprehensive investment and portfolio records; ensures accurate preparation of investment reports for the Deputy Director of Finance and City Council.
- Performs or reviews daily and monthly reconciliation of the City's investment portfolios, banking accounts and custodial accounts; records the allocation and distribution of earned interest to all City funds; prepares quarterly reports to the state on changes in position of the investment portfolio; prepares staff reports and City Council agenda items.
- Manages the City's ongoing relationships with banking institutions; works with banks to resolve transaction errors and problems and ensure accurate cash balancing.
- Evaluates treasury operations, procedures, and practices and implements changes to improve operational effectiveness.
- Assists the Deputy Director of Finance in developing and revising treasury policies and procedures and in annual review of the City's investment policy; analyzes law and regulations impacting the City's investment policies and practices and makes recommendations to the Deputy Director of Finance.
- Responsible for conducting annual cash handling training city-wide and ensuring cash handling and deposit policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Conducts periodic audits of departmental cash handling and deposits.
- Makes recommendations to the Deputy Director and Director regarding investment vehicles for the City’s funds.
- Is responsible for structuring investments such that the City has adequate cash flow on a daily basis to meet accounts payable and payroll needs, as well as adequate liquidity for any emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field; and at least seven (7) years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience, at least three years of which was in treasury operations; or an equivalent combination of training and experience, preferably in a governmental agency. A Master’s Degree is highly desirable.
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment:
- A valid State driver’s license is required.
Cost of Living Adjustments:
- Effective the first pay period following July 1, 2023 salaries shall increase by 2.7%.
- Effective the first pay period following July 1, 2024 salaries shall increase by 2.7%.
The City offers an attractive compensation and benefit package, that includes:
- Retirement – Participation in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). Classic members with less than 6 months separation: CalPERS 2% at 55, single highest year plan. New members, CalPERS 2% at 62, three highest year average plan.
- Health Insurance – Monthly City contribution of $1,125 employee only or $1,724 employee + family towards Medical, Dental and Vision Care Insurance Plans.
- Leave – Vacation beginning at 80 hours after one year, 96 hours of sick leave annually, 12 holidays, plus 18 hours of floating holiday time.
- Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance – The City provides Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance.
- Other – Optional Deferred Compensation Plan, flexible benefits plan, pre-tax childcare plan, employee assistance program, and all other benefits which are received by Management/Confidential employees of the City per Memorandum of Understanding.
The City of San Bernardino will provide reasonable accommodation for the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability. It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment. Please call 909-384-5104 for additional information regarding requests for accommodation.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4173810