The GFOA Leadership Academy at the College of Charleston provides senior public and government finance professionals an opportunity to bolster their leadership and management skills to better serve their communities.
Through sessions and self-assessments, participants will:
- Optimize their technical knowledge and abilities to enhance leadership skills
- Gain new ideas to improve their organizations and communities
- Learn from and be inspired by industry-leading speakers and change agents
- Be more prepared to lead teams, steer organization vision, and manage multiple stakeholders
- Hone their abilities to handle difficult discussions, politically complex initiatives, and challenging executive roles
- Strengthen their networks through new connections with speakers and peer participants
The week-long Leadership Academy offers participants an opportunity to step away from day-to-day demands and technical training and instead focus on leadership development.
Leadership Academy Brochure
Download PDF printable version of the 2022 Leadership Academy Brochure
Leadership Academy Application
Applications for the 2023 Leadership Academy will open June15, 2023 and close August 31, 2023. Applicants selected to participate in the program will be notified no later than September 15, 2023 and those admitted will be required to submit tuition payment by October 13, 2023.
Leadership Academy Policies
View information related to application, registration, refunds, and CPE credits.
From the opening reception and dinner to the closing lunch, the week features a mix of sessions designed to spur individual learning, develop organizational insights, and nurture development of leadership skills. Sessions are intended to balance the role of the financial professional in state and local government with key trends in leadership for the public sector. Representative sessions include:
- Self-assessments and other behavioral insights designed to help participants understand how they work—and how they can best contribute to their organizations
- Leadership skills for the 21st century
- Characteristics of great organizations
- You and your organization
- Values of public service
- Case study preparation and presentations
- Leadership discussions and reflections
Leadership Academy speakers will share their perspectives on the roles and responsibilities of state and local government officials in a complex and rapidly changing world. They will share career insights gleaned from research and hands-on leadership experience. The faculty roster includes:
Alicia D. Caudill
Executive Vice President for Student Affairs, College of Charleston
Joseph P. Riley, Jr.
Former Mayor, City of Charleston, SC
Professor Emeritus, University of Kansas School of Public Affairs & Administration
Executive in Residence, Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Center for Livable Communities
GFOA Senior Research Manager
GFOA Executive Director
Questions? Please contact GFOA's Randall Towns.