Budget Analyst Training Academy
General familiarity with government budgeting
Field of Study
Budgeting and Planning / Compensation and Benefits
Group-Live immersion training course.
The GFOA Budget Academy is an immersion training course that focuses on skills and techniques critical to public sector budget analyst. Using a combination of exercises, discussions, and lectures, the course will provide an overview of the budget development process, including best practices and techniques required in effective budgeting. This course covers essential elements of public sector budgeting such as goal setting, program development, revenue and expense analysis, position budgeting, capital budgeting, and more. Designed for budget analysts from both small and large organizations, this course will provide critical information for new analysts and allow veteran analysts an opportunity to hone their skills.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Learn basic accounting principles and how they relate to the budget
- Identify components of a chart of accounts and their relationship to budgeting
- Understand the importance of long-term strategic planning and the impact it has on service levels, budgeting, and financial management
- Learn how to perform basic revenue and expenditure analysis and to identify structural balance
- Develop operating and capital budget preparation and analysis skills
- Gain an understanding of the link between the capital and operating budgets
- Learn how to foster an effective working relationship between central budget and operating departments
- Identify methods to evaluate and to monitor budgetary performance
- Learn how to communicate and present budget information effectively for various stakeholders
Who Will Benefit
This course is taught by experienced budgeting practitioners and GFOA staff. Instructors will be familiar with GFOA best practices and have experience as finance director, budget director, or CEO of various size local governments.