The Budget Director performs complex and highly responsible job duties in the preparation, maintenance, and control of the School Division’s annual budget. The Budget Director develops and maintains financial models, tools, and reports to support complex financial analysis, ad hoc reporting, trending and forecasting. The Budget Director analyzes and prepares accurate financial data and reports for surveys, requests for financial information, LCPS administration, School Board members and the Virginia Department of Education.
- Supervises the planning, organization, preparation, analysis, and review of the annual budget for the School Division.
- Refines the budget document to improve its usefulness as an operations plan, a financial plan, a communication device, and a policy deliberations tool.
- Refines the budget preparation process to improve preparation tasks for program managers.
- Supervises the preparation all financial reporting outside of the comprehensive annual financial report, to include projections, monthly financial reports for the School Board and the state mandated Annual School Report; reviews for trends and variances and makes recommendations.
- Develops and maintains financial reports, models and tools to support analysis, trending and forecasting.
- Responds to inquiries from LCPS personnel, School Board members, citizens, and the press; obtains supplementary information as needed.
- Responsible for the budgetary approval and processing of financial documents in the budget and general ledger systems; responsible for maintaining the position control system to ensure that all hiring is for properly authorized positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree preferred
- Seven years of experience in budgeting and accounting administration; governmental budgeting and accounting preferred
- Demonstrating knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and techniques of budget, finance, and accounting
- Knowledge of research principles and forecasting techniques to include analysis, interpretation, and use of statistics
- Demonstrated professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community
- Strong technical skills to facilitate complex budget analysis
- Strong proficiency with Oracle E-Business Suite, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access