This position is posted open until filled, with a first review of applications occurring on Tuesday, July 2, 2019. Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply without delay. For more information and to apply please visit multco.us/jobs.
Are you an experienced or progressing Payroll Manager or professional looking for work that matters? Do you like the challenge of supporting a large diverse workforce? Have you worked in payroll in a union environment and understand the complexity and nuances of multiple contracts? Are you looking for a professional challenge that mixes your strong technical payroll skills with your ability to manage, motivate and lead a staff?
If so, we have the role for you!
As the County's Payroll Manager, you are detailed oriented and have the ability to plan and manage the activities of the finance staff to process payroll for Multnomah County. You are able to ensure compliance to laws and regulations as they relate to wage, hour, PERS, deferred compensation and tax reporting.
As the Multnomah County Payroll Manager you will:
- Manage and administer the corporate function of payroll for Multnomah County which includes wage payments, retirement programs, deferred compensation program and tax reporting.
- Reconcile, report, and remit taxes withheld to federal, state, and local taxing authorities following strict deadlines to prevent penalties
- Maintains the supplier master file to ensure accurate data in the financial module of Workday
- Reconcile and produce year-end statements for employees and suppliers of Multnomah County following strict federal and state regulations
- Reconcile, report, and remit pension contributions to PERS, deferred compensation contributions to VOYA Financial and other deductions from paychecks to the appropriate third parties
- Develop and maintain county-wide policies and procedures that relate to payroll functions
- Provide guidance to managers/supervisors on wage laws, labor contract interpretation, and other related County policies
- Work closely with Workday support to evaluate, test, and implement business processes and new system functionality as they relate to payroll module in Workday
- Consults with Labor Relations and Union representatives to provide guidance on daily activities and proposed contract changes related to the payroll function. Manage and guide payroll staff (9.0 FTE) including represented and non-represented employees
A successful applicant will also possess the following skills:
- Acting with Integrity: You act in a manner that is consistently truthful, reliable, trustworthy and transparent in words and actions.
- Leadership: You lead by example and move work forward through personal actions and collaborations.
- Financial Management/ Procurement/ Purchasing: Demonstrates stewardship of funding and expenditures.
- Outcomes Oriented: You strive to fulfill commitments and responsibilities and hold yourself accountable for successful outcomes.
- Navigating Change: You adopt new competencies and techniques as needed to respond to a complex, uncertain, and sometimes volatile environment.
- Building Relationships: You create mutually beneficial relationships with coworkers, customers, community members, and/or clients based on understanding and respect.
To Qualify We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant.
Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field, or equivalent professional level experience
- Five (5) years of experience in finance operations, including 2 years of supervisory experience
Preferred Qualifications/Transferable Skills: You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify. However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain on your application how you meet any of the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills.
- Certified Payroll Professional
- Experience in payroll in Workday or other HRIS system
- Payroll experience in a union environment with multiple bargaining contracts
- Working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local rules and laws
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices (GAAP and GASB)
Screening and Evaluation The Application Packet:
- A completed online application.
- A resume covering relevant experience and education.
Please be sure your resume includes the following for each employer: name of employer, location, dates of employment, your title, a brief summary of your responsibilities, the number of employees under your supervision. -A cover letter that expands on your resume, addresses why you are interested in this position and demonstrates how your experience and skill set align with the minimum and preferred qualifications listed.
Note: The application, resume and cover letter should demonstrate your work experience/skills and how it is related to those shown in the Overview and To Qualify sections of the job announcement. Please be thorough, as these materials will be scored and determine your eligibility for an interview.
The Selection Process: For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page. We expect to evaluate candidates for this recruitment as follows:
- Initial review of minimum qualifications: We may do an additionalpreferred review and/or send out additional supplemental questions to identify those highest qualified.
- Consideration of top candidates: We will consider qualified candidates inorder of rank and score from the list of eligible candidates. This may include panel interview(s), a hiring interview, and/or additional testing to determine the best candidates for a position.
- Background check and reference checks: All finalists must pass a thorough a criminal records check and reference check.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This recruitment may be used to fill full-time, part-time, temporary, limited duration and on-call positions.
Type of Position: This salaried executive position is not eligible for overtime. Please note that this position is designated as an essential employee during inclement weather or emergency event. Location: 501 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97214 Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm. There is some flexibility with the start and end times and a possibility of a 9/80 schedule.