Purpose and Scope: Directs the strategic management of the district's business operations in support of its schools. Oversees the areas of custodial services, transportation, maintenance, nutrition, procurement, project management and/or vendor management. Oversees the district's various operational services provided to schools and drives long-term planning and strategy. Promotes operational excellence across the district. Essential Job Functions:
- Drives multi-year operations planning and strategy: Aligns the Business Operations function with the district's overall strategic plan. Builds long-term plans that allow the district to adapt its operations, cost structure and support to include a shared services model to provide district operational services to state Achievement School District (ASD), charter schools and other agencies for a fee. Uses declining and shifting enrollment trends to inform decisions related to school boundaries and school locations. Collaborates with the Finance and Planning & Accountability departments to build long-term enrollment, revenue and expense projections.
- Manages short- and long-term operations decisions, balancing service level and quality with cost efficiency: Achieves operational excellence to the greatest extent possible in a manner that preserves the necessary quality of service and is as cost-effective as possible to preserve money which can be spent in the classrooms. Monitors service levels of and satisfaction with external vendors. Attains efficiencies through greater scale economies and purchasing power in procurement. Manages in-house maintenance department to keep facilities in excellent working order with timely repairs. Manages central nutrition center in a fiscally prudent manner using allotted nutrition funds. Communicates changes in operational offerings and service levels to impacted stakeholders, including parents and students.
- Maintains superior facilities and coordinates capital planning: Creates a transparent process by which capital needs are evaluated and prioritized within the county funding levels. Researches and recommends property acquisitions/leases for proposed new school sites or, and sales/rentals of vacated properties. Ensures that all physical facilities meet the high standards of design, fit and construction. Prepares annual capital budgets and monitor capital expenditures. Oversees all new construction projects, including technical review of architectural plans.
- Enforces accountability and quality control measures. Develops policies and procedures to govern the district's operations functions. Sets and enforces financial metrics and targets for Operations Division. Ensures that the district and schools are in compliance with all relevant government regulations and that records are maintained appropriately. Ensures that buildings remain up to code.
- Supports the overall vision and leadership of the district and the division: Serves as a key contributor on the Superintendent's cabinet to set the overall vision and provide leadership to the district. Oversees the functions of custodial services, transportation, maintenance, nutrition, procurement, project management and/or vendor management. Manages these functions effectively. Manages the overall budget for the division and sets and enforces financial metrics and targets. Establishes standards for hiring & selection, training, performance evaluations and ongoing professional development for the department within the overall philosophy of the district.
- Performs related responsibilities as required or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from and accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Management or a closely related field plus a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a top operations position in a corporate or public sector environment, overseeing functions such as facilities management, operations or equivalent, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and/or paid, exempt level directly relevant experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position for a total of sixteen (16) years. Public education experience preferred. Doctorate degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Management or closely related field preferred.
Degree Equivalency Formula: Bachelor’s Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience. Master’s Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where Master’s degrees are required, years for Bachelor’s Degrees must be included.