The City of Lone Tree seeks an approachable, supportive, innovative and team-oriented Finance professional who is interested in helping us achieve our goal of becoming a national model for our innovative, customer-focused and efficient city government. The ideal candidate understands financial models, is technically proficient and committed to strategic thinking, creative problem solving, and excellent customer service. In addition, he or she will have a team-oriented leadership style with strong management, finance and budgeting skills. Finally, the ideal candidate will also have a keen interest in local government finance trends to further advance municipal government operations.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position is responsible for all financial matters for the City of Lone Tree. This position performs a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative and technical finance, accounting and budgetary functions while providing oversight of the fiscal records of the City. The Finance Director will plan, direct and coordinate all activities relating to finance, which includes accounting, financial reporting and budgeting, payroll, home rule sales tax collection oversight and debt management.
This position serves as a member of the Management Team carrying out Council goals and directives, developing internal policy and guiding interdepartmental initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is the highest level of financial position in the organization and directs a staff of supervisory, professional and support personnel. Formulates long and short-range plans to effectively manage the City fiscal position. Responsible for strategic planning for the Finance Department as well as serves as part of the overall organizations strategic planning team.
Serves as Chief Financial Advisor to the City Manager’s Office and City Council.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
(The following essential job functions and examples of duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive. At the discretion of the supervisor and/or department director, duties may be modified to address business needs and changing business practices):
• Provides day-to-day staff leadership to ensure a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the Finance department and the City's mission, objectives and values. Supervises the work of assigned staff and establishes performance requirements and provides coaching for performance enhancement and development.
• Coordinates activities of the Accounting Manager. Oversees the development of long-range strategic plans for the Finance department.
• Coordinates the development of the annual City budget; assists in the review and preparation of budget estimates; provides financial and budget information to other departments and assists in resolving questions and issues.
• Oversees the preparation and presents the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report to City Council and City management. Responsible for working and coordinating this process with the external auditors.
• Manages and invests City funds in approved financial instruments in accordance with City Council approved guidelines.
• Assures compliance with debt service schedules, obligations, bond covenants and other debt financing arrangements. Coordinates all new debt issues or refunding issues for the City Council’s consideration.
• Manages City intergovernmental agreements assuring compliance and timely processing of payments pursuant to the agreements as well as disclosure requirements.
• Recommends and administers policies and procedures and makes recommendations for improvements or efficiencies.
• Consults with and advises City management and the City Council on finance related issues; prepares reports and makes presentations; keeps management informed of new legislation and accounting standards affecting City finance policies.
• Ensures that effective internal controls are in place and functioning to maintain compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and standards for financial reporting.
• Manages cash investments, cash management processes and revenue tracking, including sales tax receipts, reporting, and audits.
• Monitors operating expenses within approved budget guidelines and conducts analyses of actual costs/expenses relative to the budget.
• Develops financial studies and plans, forecasts, estimates, and monitors the financial condition of the City to ensure the fiscal well-being of the City.
• Implements and maintains electronic financial accounting and reporting systems.
• Researches and prepares monthly financial reports for presentation to the City Council, City Manager and department heads.
• May represent the City in various capacities on panels, committees, task forces and other relevant forums.
• Serves as the City’s liaison with the Audit Committee.
• Manages preparation of journal entries, reconciliation of bank statements. Prepares highly complex journal entries and related supporting data.
• Supervises the purchasing function so that various materials, equipment, and services needed are obtained in a cost-effective, professional, and ethical manner.
• Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates employee performance within the Finance Department; provides or coordinates staff training; implements performance management.
• Establishes and maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with the City and other government officials, representatives of public and private organizations citizen groups, outside suppliers and vendors, department heads, employees and the public.
• Develops finance-related ordinances and resolutions as required.
• Attends City Council and other meetings as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to: The Deputy City Manager Other: Interacts with City employees, community partners, visitors and vendors.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED Exercises supervision over all Finance Department staff; directly supervises the Accounting Manager. May supervise other employees or divisions as assigned.