The City of Dallas is seeking qualified candidates for the Assistant Director of Financial Compliance, Auditing, and Monitoring in the City Controller's Office (CCO). Reporting directly to the City Controller, this individual will establish and oversee numerous critical functions, including contract management, continuous monitoring, and policy management, and will serve as management's liaison to the City Auditor's Office. This individual will also oversee other projects as assigned by the City Controller.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a change agent who is strategic and responsive, with solid accounting and auditing experience, a sense of urgency, and the leadership capability to build a new team and relationships citywide. Under general direction, this assistant director will provide technical and professional assistance to the Director in managing, planning, and organizing the activities and staff of the City's financial compliance, auditing, and monitoring function, and will be required to operate with a high level of autonomy, discretion, judgment, and integrity.
CCO Background: CCO has approximately 70 employees responsible for financial reporting, payroll, accounts payable, banking, investing, debt issuance, internal controls, and audit coordination. The City's new contract management program will require CCO to work effectively with the Office of Procurement Services and City departments to ensure that departments are monitoring all contracts appropriately so that taxpayers receive the full value of their purchased goods and services. In addition, this is an opportunity to strengthen the existing internal control and audit coordination functions and add continuous monitoring and policy management to the overall portfolio.
• Works closely with the assistant director of contract management in the Office of Procurement Services to design and implement the City's contract management program, including providing financial oversight and monitoring of contracts with key business partners and major vendors to ensure compliance with financial and other contractual terms • Continually assesses and evaluates the financial internal control framework for the City of Dallas to ensure that adequate controls are in place and operating in an effective and efficient manner • Develops a monthly internal controls dashboard for the Executive Finance Controls Committee· • Coordinates audits with the Office of the City Auditor on behalf of the Chief Financial Officer and partners with City departments to assist with implementation of City Auditor recommendations • Directs the day to day work of the Data Analytics Manager who is responsible for using data automation to develop continuous auditing and monitoring program financial transactions and testing internal controls • Directs the day to day work of the Sr. Audit and Compliance liaisons to provide support to City departments in responding to and implementing recommendations of the City Auditor, monitoring compliance with contractual requirements of key contracts, conducting risk-based internal audits, and conducting the annual internal control assessment • Serves as the legal custodian of the City of Dallas Administrative Directives on behalf of the Chief Financial Officer • Directs the day to day work of the Financial Policy and Control Manager to ensure the following: ◦ City of Dallas financial policies are reviewed and updated on a timely basis ◦ Key internal controls related to the collection of revenues, cash handling, vendor disbursements, payroll, and treasury functions are documented and tested ◦ All functions of the City Controller's Office are documented and tested including the following areas: accounts payable, bank reconciliations, debt issuance, financial reporting, hotel occupancy tax, payroll, and ambulance billing • Provides assistance as needed on software implementation projects in the City Controller's Office including bank reconciliation software, data analytics software, and general ledger software • Provides assistance as needed to the Financial Reporting Team to complete the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and related audits in a timely manner • Works on special projects as directed by the City Controller • Reviews budget allocation, employee assignments, objectives, and performance of direct reports. Recommends changes to Director and makes reassignments of resources, as needed • Coordinates programs and resource allocations with department executives, and executives in other departments· • Monitors progress of service delivery elements through procedures and strategies to accomplish timely and effective utilization of available services· • Reviews and approves personnel actions including hiring, training, performance evaluations, and other personnel actions to ensure productivity and quality standards are maintained· • Identifies areas of quality management to enhance productivity through improved work procedures and practices, improved communication, and accountability· • Represents the City at local, state and national organizations and at professional activities to maintain the image of the City and to create public support for departmental programs·
• Responds promptly to other duties as assigned by the Director • Maintains regular, reliable, and punctual attendance
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or similar field • One professional certification, such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) • Ten (10) years of professional experience in accounting, auditing, and/or internal audit • Five (5) years of supervisory management responsibilities in accounting, auditing and/or internal audit. Advanced degree in accounting or finance may substitute for two (2) of the five (5) required years of supervisory management experience • Effective leadership skills • Effective oral and written communications skills • Ability to flowchart complex business processes using Visio or other flowcharting tools • Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Advanced degree in accounting or finance • Experience in data analytics and data mining using tools such as Audit Command Language or IDEA • At least two professional certifications such as CPA, CIA, and/or CISA • Experience in public accounting • Experience in governmental accounting
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of accounting, internal auditing, and contract compliance • Ability to effectively build teams and lead organizations • Ability to manage, train, mentor, evaluate, and supervise the work of professional, technical, and clerical staff; conduct studies, analyze data, and recommend and implement procedural changes and solutions designed to improve the efficiency and cost effectiveness of services; interpret applicable federal and state laws and regulations; keep abreast of current developments in the field of accounting, auditing, and contract compliance; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; act with a sense of urgency when important matters arise and/or are identified. Outstanding oral and written communication skills as well as strong analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving, and conceptual skills • Project management skills with experience in organizing, planning, budgeting and executing large-scale projects from the envisioning stage through implementation, involving internal and external personnel, contractors, and vendors • Ability to work with diverse groups:· ◦ Ability to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of city management, city officials, employees, vendors, contractors, media, community business organizations, various associations, and the general public ◦ • Applications must be complete, including previous salary history and required references. A resume and letter of interest are recommended. All documents must be attached at the time of submission for consideration. A resume should be submitted as supplemental documentation only and will not be considered as a primary application for the position. Incomplete applications may not be considered. An application must be submitted by the deadline noted on the NeoGov application submission site.