Northern Water has an opening for a Financial Analyst. This position calls for a self-started and highly motivated individual with expertise government finance and accounting . This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic and growing organization in support of an established large-scale water project and two new projects nearing construction. Northern Water’s revenues come from a mix of taxes, rates and fees and our services are provided to businesses, farms and cities across an eight-county service area. Northern Water is proud of its reputation as a leading water delivery, conservation and management organization, not only in the western United States, but across the nation. We value our employees, and our compensation and benefits reflect a commitment to hiring and retaining the best. Apply to email@example.com
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with departments to develop and monitor operating budgets and preparation of annual budget reports.
- Provides information to departments and management to facilitate analysis of budget variance and financial trends.
- Participates in the preparation of the five-year capital improvement plan by researching, updating and analyzing data and meeting with departments.
- Provides support for indirect cost allocation and cost of services studies.
- Reviews allotment agreements, intergovernmental agreements and other contracts in terms of their financial impacts.
- Facilitates charges for services including internal and external labor charges.
- Supports in the preparation of the C-BT carriage delivery charges and Windy Gap assessments.
- Gathers costs and helps prepare external annual billings for pipeline and pump station assessments Performs financial modeling of revenues and expense streams.
- Performs financial research and development.
- Prepares the Forward Guidance document for future wholesale water assessments.
- Updates the annual financial rate model.
- Participates in the implementation of an indirect cost allocation plan including software configuration.
- Supports water rate planning.
- Implements the indirect cost allocation plan and help in the charges for services preparation.
- Supports debt management related matters, including issuance of debt, management of financial instruments and agreements, and managing relationships with rating agencies.
- Maintains project accounting.
- Participates in the upgrades of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and implementation of a new budget system including detailed testing and preparation of test scripts and user guides.
- Assists in external audit process.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide financial technical assistance to other departments.
- Provide training as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Training, Experience and Education Requirements
- Seven (7) years of financial management experience or accounting, preferably in the utility industry.
- Advanced experience in governmental budgeting theories and practices.
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration with concentration in Accounting or Finance.
- Master of Business Administration preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant and/or Chartered Global Management Accountant preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Functional knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
- Strong understanding use of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods and theories of budget and finance.
- Extensive financial theory knowledge. Knowledge in the following areas is desired:
- Cost of service models.
- Strategic planning.
- Excellent financial analysis, techniques, and methods skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written forms as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Strong time managing skill to manage one’s own time.
- Maintain independence, objectivity and professional integrity in all circumstances.
- Recognizes the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Occasional physical activity is required, including walking, bending, stooping or climbing stairs.
- Requires prolonged sitting and sustained operation of keyboard devices.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of a post job offer physical examination.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Other Requirements
- Maintains a personal appearance appropriate for job position and image of Northern Water.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. Northern Water is an equal opportunity employer.