The Senior Accountant performs and reviews a variety of accounting activities including payroll, accounts payable, insurance administration, general ledger accounting, financial reporting, cashiering, records retention contracts, claims, and internal-external accounting; provides lead direction and training to subordinate accountants; reviews and analyzes accounting methods and procedures; suggests changes in accounting procedures; prepares a variety of complex reports involving statistics, legal requirements, fund accounting and data processing; and performs related duties as required. The current vacancy exists within the City's Finance Department although the employment list derived from this examination process will be used to staff other vacancies as they occur for the duration of the employment list.
- Graduation from a four (4)-year accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a closely related major, AND three (3) years of professional- level accounting experience.
- A graduate degree is desirable.
- Governmental fund accounting and fiscal management; auditing techniques and procedures;
- Municipal budgeting practices, including monitoring and developing;
- Basic supervisory techniques and methods.
- Analyze complex accounting and fiscal data, and prepare detailed reports from this data;
- Interpret and apply city, state and federal policies, procedures and regulations;
- Supervise subordinate employees;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
TO APPLY: Each applicant must apply ONLINE and submit a City of Richmond Employment Application and responses to the Supplemental Questions by the final filing date. Failure to submit a completed Employment Application will disqualify the candidate from further consideration.
APPLICANTS QUALIFYING FOR POSITIONS ON THE BASIS OF COLLEGE DEGREES AND/OR COURSES NEED TO INCLUDE DOCUMENTATION OF STATED EDUCATION.