The City of Avondale has an opportunity for a Senior Budget Analyst in the Finance and Budget Department. This is a full-time, FLSA exempt position with benefits.
Perform professional budget preparation and financial analysis. Analyze the financial position of the City to aid in reporting and decision making. Monitor and review policies and procedures/processes. Prepare financial analysis for short and long-range financial forecasts. Use data and performance management practices to identify process improvements. Coordinate with City departments to prepare, monitor, and manage budgets. This class is distinguished from the Budget Analyst class due to greater complexity of work and the greater degree of independent judgment required.
- Prepares, reviews, interprets, and analyzes a variety of information, data and reports; and makes recommendations and presentations based on findings
- Analyzes changes in operating or capital fund balances and prepares comprehensive reports on the financial condition of all operating and capital funds and recommends solutions to identified problems
- Prepares and quantifies changes to the budget as they arise during the fiscal year
- Prepares and provides training on budget system software so departments may input their budgets.
- Knowledge of legal regulations related to municipal budgeting and ensures compliance with those regulations
- Prepares and reviews Council Reports, presentations, and other reports as necessary
- Participates in the development of legal budget adoption and amendment schedules, resolutions and Council Agenda items in conformance with statutory requirements
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget and capital improvement program (CIP), ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and recommended budget practices
- Assists with project management; provides expertise to coordinate and implement division or citywide systems and projects
- Assists with program/system evaluation and organizational analysis; monitoring of procedures and methods
- Researches economic indicators, analyzes factors and trends, and provides updates to management on the economy
- Reviews departmental operating and capital budgets, and recommends budget adjustments
- Develops and prepares short-term and long-term revenue forecasts and expenditure forecasts as needed
- Conducts analysis and produces reports of personal service and other costs as requested
- Maintains effective working relationships with department staff and the general public
- Performs the essential functions as described in the physical demands and work environment sections below
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Public Administration, or related field. Master's Degree preferred
- Five (5) years of progressive experience and responsibility working in a municipal government setting, including prior experience in financial analysis, developing and managing department budgets, policy analysis, and research in government policy.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of municipal budget preparation.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Financial Management software.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely with proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- Master's Degree may substitute for two years of experience.