The City of Aspen Finance Department is seeking one professional level accountant to who thrives on public service and is motivated by teamwork and a mountain lifestyle.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The deadline for the first review of applications is December 13th @ 5:00pm. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applicants that apply after the first review are not guaranteed to be considered for this recruitment. This recruitment may close at any time without notice after the first review date.
The application must be filled out completely; stating “see resume” anywhere in the application, is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
Who We Are:
Aspen is one of the most beautiful and prestigious small towns anywhere. You’ll find a distinctive small-town character with 6,700 year-round residents, thousands of second homeowners, and an infrastructure to support a city of eighty thousand. Known for more than its world class skiing, Aspen has become a four-season destination for outdoor adventures along with a vibrant cultural and arts scene.
The City of Aspen Finance department administers all financial recordkeeping and reporting functions for the City of Aspen. As an internal services department, the Finance team is committed to customer service and strategic excellence, and providing high level support to other City Departments, the City Manager, and City Council. The Finance team manages the fiscal budget and financial statements for the City. The team is comprised of individuals who are passionate about numbers, but also living and working in the Roaring Fork Valley.
Position Details – All Accounting Levels:
This position performs professional level accounting functions for the City of Aspen, which may include recording and reporting complex financial transactions, reviewing accounting records, and preparing financial statements and reports. See levels for accounting activities and minimum qualifications. The Finance Department’s accounting division provides the opportunity for advancement in professional accounting from Level I through Sr. Level Accountant, and placement depends on directly related experience.
The Accountant I is an entry-level professional accounting position. Successful candidates will have some related work experience and a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field. The Accountant I has the opportunity to work on entry level accounting duties, and participate in broader accounting activities, providing the successful candidate the opportunity for professional advancement
The Accountant II performs journey level accounting activities. Successful candidates will have professional accounting experience and demonstrated ability to perform the full range of required accounting duties.
In addition to this experience, successful applicants will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field.
The Sr. Accountant performs advanced professional accounting activities. The Sr. Accountant provides accounting leadership to the team; consistently demonstrating deep technical expertise, while mentoring and advising colleagues and leading work projects. The Successful candidate will have five years of professional accounting experience, and a bachelor’s in accounting. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred. Sr. Accountant work activities include recording and reporting complex financial transactions and preparing financial statements and reports.
Typical Accountant Job Duties: (See full job descriptions for complete list of duties)
- Performs a wide variety of complex and routine accounting duties. Maintains detailed financial records of enterprise, capital projects and other funds.
- Assist with annual audit of capital assets and cash audits. Prepares accounting entries for land, enterprise and other governmental capital assets.
- Posts, balances, and reconciles transactions in general ledger; prepares or reviews monthly financial statements.
- Prepares journal entries for land sales, land and asset dispositions, bond refunding, contributed capital, auctions, and other non-routine transactions.
- Prepares property tax entries, accruals, and the annual mill levy certification.
- Preparation of city debt service payments, applicable debt service schedules, Continuing Disclosure Statement and other financing transactions.
- Assists with annual audit of City financial records, preparing account reconciliations, year-end accounting entries, various schedules, and year-end close.
- Assists with the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Performs account research and analyses for other departments. Performs ERP system administration and maintenance support. Maintains third party software integrations and reconciliations.
- May train or assign and review the work of other employees as directed. May perform back-up functions for supervisor or other team members as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Finance Department Accounting Division Core Competencies: (may vary by position level)
- Knowledge of and ability to use the principles and practices of basic accounting functions, including the current GAAS (Generally Accepted Auditing Standards) and GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) standards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, other agencies and the general public.
- Skill in posting, balancing, and reconciling transactions in a general ledger.
- Skill in maintaining detailed financial records of enterprise, capital projects and other funds.
- Ability to perform financial audits.
- Must be technologically savvy, with the ability to, and comfort in, use of complex cloud based ERP systems and other accounting software. Ability to troubleshoot and navigate problem solving in leading edge accounting software and systems.
- Licensing/Certification Requirements: A CPA designation is desired.
- Familiarity with Oracle Cloud ERP.
- Previous municipal governmental accounting.
Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date.
NOTE: This position requires a Criminal Background Check upon hire. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
Position Type and Work Hours: Regular full time, 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, hours may vary with workload.
Evenings/Weekends: Evening meetings will occasionally be required in addition to or instead of normal hours.
- Indoors: Office environment.
- Outdoors/Off-Site: Meetings and trainings in various city facilities.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Lifting & Carrying: Up to 25 lbs. unassisted; such as file boxes, and reams of paper.
- Physical: Reaching, standing, sitting, typing, talking, crouching, kneeling, seeing, driving, and hearing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**Please see complete job descriptions.