American Fork City, in the rapidly growing north Utah County, is seeking an experienced Finance Director.
This person performs a variety of professional, administrative and managerial duties related to organizing and controlling the financial operations of the city. Including but not limited to: directing and coordinating activities concerning the areas of accounting, internal auditing, budgeting, treasury, bond and grant administration, debt administration, budget management, purchasing, payroll. Responsible for all financial record keeping, budgeting and reporting required.
Provides direct supervision to the City Recorder, Utility Billing/Business Licensing Supervisor, Payroll Specialist, Accounts Payable Specialist and Accountant/City Treasurer.
- Ensures the accuracy and legal performance of the City's financial transactions; manages governmental accounting functions; directs and prepares city-wide budget; coordinates budget development process with City Administrator and city department heads; forecasts revenues and expenditures; provides fiscal oversight for RDA & EDA operations; monitors and balances capital improvement.
- Oversees, manages, and maintains city-wide accounting system and business license software program; manages the general reporting and information tracking related to payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.; establishes working relationship with accounting software vendor to maximize desired efficiencies in fiscal record keeping; performs required accounting system software updates; maintains all official accounting records in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinates with City Treasurer on amount and timing of money transfers and investments. Monitors and determines city financial needs; coordinates cash flow management with the City Treasurer, calculates income projections, makes cost-recovery projections and may review the proper identification idle funds by the City Treasurer; follows established statutory guidelines for the investment of idle funds to achieve maximum usage of public taxes and other revenue collections.
- Recommends efficient fiscal administration to the City Administrator, Mayor, City Council and department heads with information and; recommends rules, regulations, policies, and procedures and implements the same upon approval; analyzes, interprets and communicates financial operation results; evaluates, develops, and implements internal controls in financial and cash management operations; oversees and coordinates annual audit including pre-audit, field audit, post audit processes and results.
- Prepares and presents periodic and annual financial statements summarizing the fiscal condition and projections for the city, including preparation of the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Oversees city-wide procurement practices; assures proper competitive pricing and bidding for contracts, services, and purchases; oversees the ongoing education and training of city staff related to procurement policy, practices and procedures.
- Ensures procedures conform to the City Procurement Code; assists in the administration of the City’s property acquisition and disposal process; may conduct fee and contract negotiations with vendors for goods and services.
- Coordinates annual external audit; directs and coordinates various closing functions; serves as internal auditor; ensures timely and accurate state and federal fiscal reporting; ensures proper remittance of sales tax and other state and federal obligations. Prepares required federal and state reports related to payroll, annual audit, budget, grants, loans and cash management and transparency requirements; responds to issues and inquiries from various fiscal agencies and regulatory authorities.
- Reconciles the financial systems regarding budget amendments and the establishment of corresponding budget controls; provides programmatic and operational consultation regarding the City's revenue accounting, auditing, forecasting, and grants accounting; ensures accuracy and accountability in all financial transactions initiated from all departments in the City.
- Prepares annual Budget Book in compliance with the Government Finance Officer Association’s Distinguished Budget Presentation Award Program.
- Oversees city-wide purchasing process; receives and verifies requisitions and purchase orders administering an approved purchasing policy; analyzes quotations and bid prices.
- Oversees managerial processes and planning associated with the daily operations of the Recorder’s Office; reviews operational issues; oversees departmental budget development; coordinates staffing issues.
- Monitors current outstanding debt and provides information for debt instruments, i.e., loan and bonding projects and services. Prepares drawdowns for bond construction accounts. Prepares annual continuing disclosure documents and files with the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB).
- Oversees utility billing and business licensing functions.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from college with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration or related education studies; AND
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience, including four (4) years of supervisory experience, while performing above or related duties; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, laws, rules and regulations relating to municipal government accounting principles practices and procedures (GAAP, GASB, Utah Money Management Act, Utah Transparency Act); public finance and fiscal planning; municipal organizations and department operations including applicable laws and regulations; internal control principles and methods of application; budgeting, accounting and related statistical procedures; various revenue sources available to local governments including state and federal sources; local investment options and opportunities; general office maintenance and practices; basic personnel management practices and procedures; computer accounting applications and various software financial programs; business and technical writing; operation of standard office equipment; mathematics and advanced accounting.
- Knowledge of principles of management, supervision and employee motivation, interpersonal communication skills, telephone etiquette; and public relations. Skill in the art of diplomacy and cooperative problem-solving; leadership and organizational behavior management; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with State, Federal, and other local officials, elected officials, subordinate staff, and City residents. Skill in the operation of PC Computer, calculator, fax machine, copy machine, telephone.
- Ability to analyze problems and make appropriate recommendations, conduct cost-benefit studies and evaluate alternate fiscal and managerial approaches; prepare and analyze complex financial reports; operate various types of standard office equipment such as 10 key calculator, keyboard, etc.; operate personal computer (windows) in utilizing various programs to produce or compose formal documents, reports and records; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; develop effective working relationships with executive management, elected officials, fellow employees, and the public; maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive administrative information.
- Must be bondable. CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CGFM (Certified Government Financial Manager) or CPFO (Certified Public Finance Officer) is highly desired.
Resumes should be emailed to: Jobs@AFcity.net