The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC), the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and Association of Governments (AOG) for Davis, Morgan, Salt Lake, Tooele, Weber, and southern Box Elder Counties in Utah, is seeking a full-time Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
WFRC builds consensus and enhances quality of life by developing and implementing visions and plans for a well-functioning multi-modal transportation system, livable communities, a strong economy, and a healthy environment. WFRC recently celebrated its 50th anniversary as an organization serving the needs of Utah’s fast-growing Wasatch Front and surrounding communities. Visit wfrc.org for more information about our roles and responsibilities.
Located in downtown Salt Lake City, WFRC’s office is in a thriving neighborhood that is easily accessible by walking, biking, bus, train, and car. Salt Lake City is famous for offering urban amenities in close proximity to world-class outdoor activities.
The Chief Financial Officer is an integral part of the WFRC Staff. The position serves as part of the executive management team that manages a complex financial system with government fund accounting, diverse state and federal grants, and membership fees. The CFO also works with and advises the elected officials that serve on WFRC’s Board and committees.
WFRC’s current CFO will be retiring in January 2021, and is currently working remotely from out-of-state. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with the outgoing CFO to gain a full understanding of the grants, programs, accounting system, and other systems that are unique to the organization. This will ensure a smooth transition, and be an excellent opportunity for training and knowledge transfer.
Functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Desire to work in a professional, team environment
- Preparation and monitoring of the annual budget
- Timely and accurate preparation and analysis of financial statements and other reports
- Advise senior management on fiscal and budget issues
- Provide strategic business planning including long-range financial projections
- Compliance with state transparency and other reporting
- Design and implementation of compliant and efficient accounting (including internal control) and administrative policies and procedures
- Management of cash and investments
- Preparation of the Council’s Annual Financial Report and oversight of the annual audit
- Supervision of the accounting and human resource staff • Maintain professionalism, integrity, and a public-service attitude
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or closely related field. Current CPA or CGFM certification.
- 10+ years of experience utilizing sophisticated and complex accounting software.
- 2+ years of experience as a section/division/department head leading a diverse team.
- Thorough knowledge of regulations, policies, and procedures which apply to governmental accounting, finance and federal awards including OMB 2 CFR 200.
- Considerable skill in the art of diplomacy and cooperative problem solving; leadership and organizational behavior management; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with federal, state and local officials, subordinate staff, and agency customers.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and certifications.
Compensation and benefits Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience and responsibility. Full benefits package including pension through Utah Retirement System; 401k / 457 with employer match up to 7.65%; medical, dental, vision, life insurance; vacation; sick leave; paid holidays, paid personal days; and education assistance program.