Seeking a motivated finance professional with previous municipal budgeting experience working in a fast-paced agency. This position requires a person with budgetary expertise and exceptional writing abilities who is dedicated to providing outstanding customer service. The ideal candidate for this position must be an effective finance professional, a creative problem solver, and be adaptable to change. Under the direction of the Chief Accountant/Finance Director, the successful incumbent will plan, organize, coordinate and participate in budget development and preparation and their control activities. Candidates for consideration will need to demonstrate financial expertise in government budget and financial reporting, combined with strong management skills for oversight of daily operations. This position will also provide professional support to other departments as the City encourages team problem-solving approaches to issues.
SALARY: $25.7067/hr — $31.6930/hr DOE
CLOSING DATE: February 28, 2020 before 5:00 p.m.
DEPARTMENT: Finance Office
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Finance Director
STATUS: Regular, full-time, non-union
Position Summary: Under limited supervision, performs a wide variety of complex and technical accounting functions that may include analytical and processing support for payroll, financial reporting, City budget development, and internal controls.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Annual Operating Budget and Capital Improvement Plan development, analysis, reporting. Prepares budget documents and presentations. Maintains currency and integrity of budget data system, including recommendations for systems modifications. Assists with forecasting, including analysis of variables such as economic outlook. Provides assistance to City staff. Ensures compliance with budget policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of public sector accounting principles and practices, including the principles of governmental accounting, financial reporting and budgeting;
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board pronouncements, regulations, and guidelines;
- Ability to gain knowledge of relevant City of Missoula policies and practice;
- Ability to gain knowledge of state budgetary accounting and reporting system (BARS) as it applies to local governments;
- Knowledge of statistical and financial research and forecasting methods;
- Working knowledge of and auditing procedures;
- Proven ability in developing budgetary, financial, and managerial policies, procedures, and guidelines;
- Proven ability in interpreting and applying complex laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines;
- Skill in using accounting, budgeting, and spreadsheet computer software; ability to learn specialized software applications;
- Proven ability in communicating, orally and in writing;
- Proven ability in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse individuals.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, financial management or related field and two years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.