Ottumwa, IA (population 25,350), located in Wapello County (southeastern Iowa). Ottumwa is a regional hub offering amenities to both residents and neighboring communities. A unique community where economic opportunity is local; kids can attend great schools; you can own your own home; community involvement is valued, and friends are just next-door. The town combines small-town Iowa values with growth and employment opportunities. The City seeks its new Director of Finance to be trained and skilled in understanding that innovative financial services management can be the foundation of a sustainable city.
This position works under the direction of the City Administrator while providing expert advice to the city organization and the City Council related to financial planning and management of city operations and capital development.
Ottumwa is a full-service City with an annual operating budget of $69 million. There are 178 full-time and 34 part-time/seasonal employees. The City maintains an Aa bond rating and is served by 15 departments. Ottumwa is governed by a Mayor and five City Councilors, who are responsible for the overall financial management of city operations. Finance provides support services to all other city departments consisting of accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, debt management, investments, capital planning, and budgeting. The finance department is also responsible for providing financial information and annual budget documents to citizens, bondholders, auditors, city departments, the City Administrator, the Mayor, and the City Council.
Ottumwa is growing. Sizable developments have spurred additional commercial investment, by locally owned businesses and national corporations. Investment is encouraged by a community that shows specific evidence of opportunity by being a Main Street community, maintaining a local regional airport, library, the Bridge View Center of culture and arts, local healthcare options and beautiful parks, trails, sports venues, and great places to play or just enjoy life.
The Ideal Candidate Will
- Be approachable and possess exceptional inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrate advanced finance and accounting skills that support the economic resilience of city government and the overall community.
*Support City Council goals and strategic plan by providing financial options to the City Administrator, City Council, and staff.
- Always consider the why of financial asks and support necessary initiatives by finding ways to achieve mutual interests.
- Be ethical, innovative, selfless, community oriented and optimistic.
- Be a skilled communicator of financial terms and practices with staff, the City Council, and the public.
- Be a patient, steady, and flexible leader who will promote a culture of accountability and transparency.
- Understand the City’s role in supporting economic development initiatives including urban renewal and tax increment financing.
- Have a high level of emotional intelligence and be a listener who is open to others’ ideas.
- Be a coach that motivates employees to get past their comfort zones and innovate.
- Treat others with kindness, respect, and humility.
- Be committed to diversity, inclusiveness, and equity in the city organization and the community.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration, or a closely related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 years of professional experience in finance are preferred, including 3 years in a municipality. Certified Public.
- Accountant license is preferred.
- Must be bondable.
- Demonstrated effective and efficient communication to multiple teams in various locations to gain alignment on vision, strategy, expectations, and accountability.
The salary range is $90,000 - $120,000 (DOQ) with a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should apply online and provide a resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Don Tripp, Vice President, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 225, Northbrook, Illinois 60062, Tel: (515) 202-8388. The first review of resumes will be on August 19, 2022.
The City of Ottumwa, Iowa is an Equal Opportunity Employer