Under general direction of the Financial Reporting Supervisor and in coordination with the CIP Budget Supervisor, the Accountant performs professional accounting tasks within the Fiscal Services division; assists in producing timely and accurate financial statements and reports; and assists in maintaining the City's financial and accounting records.
- Maintain capital asset records, coordinate capital asset inventories, and maintain and update the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual for capital assets.
- Reconcile subsidiary records and bank statement to the general ledger and research discrepancies. Prepare adjusting transactions necessary to make corrections to appropriate accounting records.
- Edit batches from work orders which includes capitalizing overhead from work orders, continuing property records, payroll, purchasing/inventory, cash receipts, accounts receivable, utilities, building/planning, and fleet management software applications.
- Perform period end processing, which includes general ledgers, closing account periods and distributing month end reports. Prepare drawdowns and maintain all records including financial reports for all state and federal grants.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly sales tax remittance report, state court costs report, arrest fees report, and fuel tax report. Initiate ACH wire transfer to the State Comptroller’s office. Coordinate sales tax audits.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly investment reports. Perform internal audit tasks as requested and provide training as needed to correct any deficiencies found.
- Assist with preparation of the City’s continuing disclosure reports, Official Statements, and arbitrage rebate calculations as it relates to the issuance of debt; analyze outstanding bond issues for refunding opportunities; and monitor debt issuance compliance.
- Prepare lead schedules for external auditors and assist with the preparation of the annual audit support material for the of the annual capital and operating budget processes.
- Work with staff and other city employees on the continuous improvement of accounting services to ensure a consistent, integrated Accounting System that is utilized within the standards, and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Recommend process improvement goals, objectives, and changes to policies and priorities for assigned activities to improve the financial reporting services of the City.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or a related field and four (4) years progressively responsible accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of GAAS and / or fund accounting. Capital Asset and construction accounting knowledge. Customer service orientation, continuous improvement orientation and teamwork focused. Self-starter, professional attitude, well organized, detail oriented and problem solving skills. Communication skills (written and oral).
- Municipal management or governmental accounting experience