The Port of Portland is a gateway to the globe operating multiple airports, marine terminals and business parks that connect people and passengers, drive economic growth and improve our region's quality of life.
This position is responsible for maintaining, analyzing, and supporting the various financial systems which support the Port's general ledger and the resulting managerial reports, financial statements and ad hoc reports. We are looking for someone who is comfortable working independently, with a keen attention to detail that will ensure the accuracy of interfaced data into the general ledger. This position will also complete ad hoc as well as scheduled financial analysis, report maintenance, journal entries, and reconciliations.
The successful candidate will exhibit a strong sense of team-orientation, be highly collaborative and will understand and wholly embrace the Port's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
NOTE: The Port of Portland is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our employees and community. As part of this commitment, all Port employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception and accommodation as a condition of employment. Candidates must provide proof of vaccination or have an approved exception and accommodation prior to beginning work at the Port.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities:
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries
- Complete required general ledger reconciliations.
- Research, analyze and resolve reconciling items timely and appropriately.
- Serve as Module Administrator of JD Edwards Fixed Asset system, representing the interests of Finance with IT and other system Module Administrators.
- Responsible for user manual maintenance, system balancing, adjustments, accruals and overall Fixed Asset accounting support.
- Work closely with Project Managers to ensure proper set up of projects and asset identification.
- Serve as the liaison between the Accounting and Payroll departments:
- Weekly balancing and posting of pay cycles to the GL system along with Interdepartmental Transfer journals.
- Responsible for setting up new Automatic Accounting Instructions and working with IT and Payroll to resolve balancing or reporting issues.
- Review, balance, and process JDE month end and year end closing processes for general ledger:
- Review related integrity reports and resolve errors or other system issues.
- Participate in JDE upgrades as needed.
- Perform as backup for the daily Avantis software general ledger interface balancing and posting:
- Perform as backup to Accounts Receivable.
- Assist with annual audit preparations and client-prepared workpaper schedules:
- Assess and resolve external auditor queries.
Minimum Requirements/Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business is preferred; or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of related accounting experience with increasing responsibility.
- Working knowledge of the following is required:
- General accepted accounting principles, practices and procedures;
- Spreadsheets and word processing applications for data analysis and reporting.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly in written and oral communication.
- Proven ability to work effectively in collaboration with peers and team members.
- Skilled at preparing standard and ad hoc financial reports in support of analysis or to address customer needs.
- Promotes safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work.
- Proven team player who shows the utmost respect for others.
- Accurately perform moderately complex accounting activities.
- Meet deadlines on a daily and monthly basis.
- Organize and manage workload to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
- Accurately input and retrieve data.
- Analyze financial transactional data, assess the results, and provide appropriate recommendations or solutions.
- Work with limited supervision and make sound decisions in the absence of specific direction.
- Maintain comprehensive account reconciliations requiring the analysis of all general ledger transactions requiring the analysis of accounting transactions.
- Prepare monthly financial and operating reports.
- Exchange information with or provide assistance to other departments or external auditors.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive.
Safety: The Port promotes safety as a guiding principle and practice in accomplishing work by complying with safety and health policies and procedures and consistently seeking improvements that support operational excellence.
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement:
The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing:
The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other safety-sensitive positions.
Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000