The purpose of this classification, under administrative direction, is the planning and directing of accounting functions for the City. Employees in this classification perform administrative and supervisory work. Position is responsible for accurate recording and reporting of all the City’s financial transactions producing monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. Performs related work as required.
- Education, Training & Experience - Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, preferably a Master's Degree in Business Administration or closely related field; supplemented by five (5) years recent progressively responsible experience in governmental accounting. Must possess supervisory experience.
- Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO), Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), preferred.
- Supervises accounting division staff, which is responsible for: payroll, accounts payable, general ledger, grant accounting, purchasing card, travel, and the mailroom.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and yearly financial and grant statements.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Responsible for updating all fund data included in the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Coordinates activities with external auditors. Maintains capital project cost reports.
- Prepares and reviews journal entries.
- Reviews payroll activities; reviews and approves accounts payable activities.
- Prepares and monitors complex financial and accounting project plans utilizing Microsoft Project or other project planning software applications.
- Responsible for compiling FEMA cost reports, filing to state and federal agencies, and the documentation of Citywide costs related to FEMA-related events and activities.
- Updates the City’s overhead and indirect cost allocation rates.
- Reviews bank reconciliation.
- Reviews police and fire pension calculations.
- Distributes monthly and quarterly financial reports; files journal entries. Conducts financial, compliance, operational and performance audits.
- Responsible for preparing all lead schedules and analysis for external auditor at year-end. Coordinates year-end work for auditors to provide smooth facilitation of year-end audit. Responsible for preparing abstracts of Commission meetings for external auditor.
- Conducts periodic reviews of the financial application software and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Trains accounting staff members and periodically updates written policies and procedures.
- Provides information under freedom of information act and answers questions and researches/resolves problems from internal and external sources.
- The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Develops and implements fiscal training program to End users in the City’s operating departments.
- While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
- Codes checks received in mail before being processed by cashiers. Performs other related duties as required.