General Duty Statement
Performs expert level supervisory and managerial work; performs high level governmental accounting work involving the planning, organizing, and supervising of a large departmental accounting function; develops central accounting policies and procedures; acts as a financial advisor to a department head; and performs related duties as required.
- Plans, organizes, establishes priorities, and delegates the work of employees involved in accounting, including grants, asset management, accounts payable, and other payments.
- Supervises the compiling, preparing, and presenting of annual financial and operating reports, including the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Coordinates and supervises Saint Paul’s annual financial audit, working in close collaboration with staff from the MN Office of the State Auditor (OSA) and accounting staff citywide.
- Supervises the maintenance and reconciliation of general ledgers, capital project accounts, grant accounts, and special fund accounts.
- Expert level use of the City’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) finance software to perform regular accounting duties, provide relevant data to city stakeholders, and optimize Accounting work processes in the department and citywide.
- Coordinates, supervises, and manages the financial expenditures and revenue activities of the City and provides coordination and supervision for the execution and reporting of financial activities.
- Supervises central accounting staff of 16.8 FTEs; facilitates recruitment, orientation and training of new staff; supports operating department finance staff through training, and accounting policy implementation.
- Provides appropriate records of an accounting and fiscal nature for use by management and as required by law.
- Provides and coordinates expert level grant accounting and reporting for large state, federal, and philanthropic grants.
- Oversees centralized, citywide, accounts payable function including providing expertise and assistance with vendor maintenance, 1099 reporting, and implementation of new electronic payment processes.
- Implements the City operating and capital budgets; prepares special revisions, transfer of funds, and establishes new funds and operating procedures.
- Compiles, organizes, and updates accounting forms and procedural or operations manuals.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting, fund accounting, cost accounting, and accrual accounting.
- Knowledge and experience with Infor or other enterprise resource planning (ERP) finance software applications.
- Advanced computer/technical skills particularly Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills.
The City of Saint Paul is Minnesota's capital city and the 2nd largest city in our state with a population of more than 300,000. We are home to a diverse group of residents who speak over 125 languages and dialects. We have more than 170 parks and open spaces, and more shoreline on the Mississippi River than any other city.
We are at an exciting time in our history: our population has increased by 24,000 people over the past decade, and across our city, we are experiencing growth and change. This presents an enormous opportunity for the future of our city, but also requires that we work to ensure everyone in our community can participate in the benefits of Saint Paul's growing prosperity. That is why we are committed to ensuring our public services and our entire city works for all of us.
Equity and Inclusion:
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field and eight years of progressively more responsible experience in planning, evaluating, and directing major accounting functions in a large accounting system; including four years of supervisory and project management experience.
- CPA designation or Master’s Degree in Business, or Public Administration, Accounting, Economics, Public Policy or closely related field.
- Previous government experience.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload the following required documents via the online application system. You will not be able to submit your application without these documents attached.(Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- A legible copy of your resume
- First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
- Not sure how City of Saint Paul's hiring process works? Attend one of our Elevate sessions. The schedule is available at www.stpaul.gov/elevate.
Selection Process Information
- This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. Provisional employees are not certified employees but are eligible to receive benefits after one month of employment.
Final Selection Process:
- A Hiring Manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or another evaluation method.
Condition of Employment:
- This position will require a background check which may include criminal history, and employment history as a condition of employment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Nastassia Leigh at 651-266-6476
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.