It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The Accounting Supervisor will be responsible for supervising the accounting group in Water, overseeing, coordinating and implementing complex accounting related to the Water Department.
All applications must include a Resume and Cover Letter.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for assigned Water accounting, accounts payable, payroll and purchasing card processes and procedures
- Responsible for coordinating and reviewing all year-end closing accounting entries and reconciliations
- Responsible for coordinating, reviewing and preparation of all audit schedules needed for annual financial audit.
- Responsible for reviewing month-end entries
- Responsible for coordinating with the City finance staff regarding capitalizing assets and asset inventories for Water
- Liaison for Aurora Water with external financial auditors, providing explanations, schedules, and other additional information as requested.
- Oversee reconciliations between systems (billing, permitting, financial) to ensure all information is properly recorded for financial reporting
- Responsible for ensuring monthly reconciliations are completed and reviewed
- Create operating procedures for staff
- Liaison with City Accounting Staff regarding procedures and processes related to accounting
- Advise and update assigned staff on accounting procedures and practices as they relate to Water
- Perform special projects as needed
- Make recommendations regarding selection, hiring, training, valuating, and disciplining of assigned employees
- Supervise assigned employees
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- At lease five (5) years progressive responsibility performing accounting month-end and year-end processes
- At least three (3) years of supervisory experience
- At least two (3) years experience preparing for an external financial audit
- At least two (2) years experience preparing financial statements
- Experience with public accounting
- Experience in a Water Utility
- Experience with Naviline Water Billing system
- Knowledge of revenue/collection streams for Aurora Water billing that includes water sales, meter deposits, Aurora Water Cares
- Basic accounting and GAAP principles
- Interpreting and implementing policies and procedures
- Ability to understand complex accounting practices and apply them to Water
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to plan and coordinate work priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive information with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- Ability to supervise and manage work and staff assignments to meet deadlines in a positive manner
- Established experience in the application of accounting principles
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and managerial skills
- Review others work product for accuracy and completeness, making corrections as necessary
- Advanced skills in using financial systems
- Use of Microsoft Products
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certified Public Accountant Preferred or Candidate for CPA