Northern Virginia (19 local jurisdiction authority)
NORTHERN VIRGINIA CIGARETTE TAX BOARD
14150 NEWBROOK DR. Suite, 210
Chantilly, VA 20151
SALARY: $ 96,748 to $154,529
OPENING DATE: July 2021
The Administrator of the NVCTB supervises, plans, and coordinates staff in the administration and enforcement of the cigarette tax for member jurisdictions in the Northern Virginia area. Involves responsible technical, administrative, and supervisory tasks to ensure compliance with local cigarette tax ordinances.
The NVCTB Administrator serves at the pleasure of the Northern Virginia Cigarette Tax Board Executive Board.
The position is responsible for the following:
- Formulation, documentation and administration of policies and procedures.
- Supervising and reviewing all office services and functions including budget preparation, board reporting, overseeing the annual audit and other functions as may be necessary.
- Determining computer systems needs of the organization and arranging for correct deployment of resources to meet the Board’s system needs.
- Hiring, firing, supervising, counseling, and evaluating Board personnel.
- Financial oversight of the Board to include the approval of payments and refunds.
- Preparing annual fiscal year budgets to include revenue and expense analysis and projections.
- Preparing and/or analyze financial statements / reports and makes recommendations resulting from the analysis.
- Preparation the Board meeting agenda.
- Liaison to member jurisdictions.
- Supervising the assessment, collection & disbursement of the cigarette tax for each participating jurisdiction.
- Reviewing work performed by others in the office for accuracy and conformity to applicable policies, regulations, and procedures; initiates corrective actions as required.
- Assisting subordinates in the performance of their duties during periods of peak times to maintain even workflow and optimum efficiency of operations.
- Serving as Trustee for the Northern Virginia Cigarette Tax Board Pension Trust.
- Oversight of cigarette tax stamp program to include inventory, purchases and sales.
- Participation in taxpayer compliance, both orally and written, involved in the applicability of pertinent tax laws and regulations.
- Oversight of field inspections and audits of retail establishments.
- Seizure of improperly stamped or non-stamped cigarettes pending an administrative hearing.
- Issuing summonses for ordinance violations.
- Attending court proceedings to testify in cases involving violations of the ordinances.
- Conducting Administrative Hearings for registered agents appealing the seizure of cigarettes.
- Coordinating with other Federal, State, and regional agencies as necessary on enforcement efforts and joint operations.
- Investigation of noncompliance and delinquent tax cases.
- Review of monthly cigarette tax reports.
- Oversight of audits of manufacturer, wholesaler, and vendor accounts.
- Review audit reports and written summaries of findings and recommendations.
- Review of transactions, documents, records, and reports for accuracy and effectiveness.
- Performs other duties as required.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, or related field; plus, six years of professional work-related experience in a management capacity.
- The applicant should possess or demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Specialized knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and procedures concerning cigarette tax issues.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and procedures. Considerable knowledge of the NVCTB jurisdictional ordinances.
- Considerable knowledge of management principles, methods, and practices.
- To supervise the work of others and train employees.
- To plan work efficiently and effectively.
- To operate a computer, use email and be proficient in Microsoft Office and various accounting and other software programs to generate letters, reports, etc.
- To operate office equipment.
- To analyze and interpret financial worksheets and computer printouts.
- To calculate, compute, summate and/or tabulate data and/or information.
- To communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- To professionally enforce applicable misdemeanor ordinances as they relate to cigarette taxes.
- To maintain accounting records and to prepare office reports.
- To explain and interpret the application of tax laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- To work independently and exercise a considerable degree of independent judgment.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE COMPLETED ELECTRONICALLY AND SENT TO: NVCTB@fairfaxva.gov