Directs, manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities and operations within the Comptroller’s Office, ensures the goals and objectives are met, provides highly responsible and complex analysis and support.
Acts as backup for other staff, including Comptroller, when needed.
Leads and manages utility billing, accounts payable, and revenue collection across multiple departments.
Has considerable latitude for sound, independent judgment, discretion, and initiative in carrying out daily operations within established guidelines.
- Coordinates and monitors the accounting, disbursement, auditing, and administration of the City's financial operations;
- Develops, recommends, implements and updates procedures to economize operations while increasing productivity;
- Develops, recommends, and implements procedures to increase productivity and efficiency of personnel;
- Independently makes decisions regarding utility bills including but not limited to water shut-offs, granting extensions, crafting payment plans, etc.; develops and manages water shut-off work plan;
- Monitors contracts to ensure compliance;
- Assesses and recommends capital needs based on life-cycle estimates, and maintenance costs;
- Ensures that customer complaints and inquiries are resolved quickly and effectively;
- Recommends and implements effective programs for enhancing the public image of the Comptroller’s Office;
- Promotes excellence in customer service and promotes an excellent public image of the department and City;
- Supervises department staff, gives performance evaluations and progressive discipline, if necessary;
- Prepares complex reports, studies, and correspondence, gives recommendations;
- Implements appropriate correction action;
- Participates in the design and implementation of new computerized accounting systems to improve the effectiveness of financial reporting;
- Provides initial job orientation to subordinates; coaches subordinates to improve current job performance and to develop themselves for promotional opportunities; accomplishes desired results through subordinates; delegates assignments appropriately; and ensures equal opportunities for training;
- Verifies quality of the work product to ensure accuracy of data;
- Communicates regularly with staff and others for the purposes of improving individual/department performance, teamwork and efficiency within the unit and across the agency;
- Collects and completes production of monthly activity reports;
- Assists the Comptroller in the formulation, analysis, and monitoring of the annual budget;
- Ensures the Budget versus Actual expenditure reports appropriately distributed;
- Supports the Comptroller with special projects and acts as a back-up in their absence;
- Reviews each payroll prior to submission, paying special attention to payroll changes made by staff, to ensure accuracy, timeliness and conformity with company guidelines;
- Monitors and reviews payroll tax deposits, filings and reconciliation;
- Collaborates with Human Resources in the preparation of workers compensation reports for insurance rates;
- Leads all payroll related functions such as assesses and analyzes general ledger accounts for payroll and fringe benefits so that they are properly allocated. Reconciles these accounts;
- Participates in collective bargaining negotiations, including confidential caucuses, makes recommendations, and develops cost analyses of actual and potential bargaining proposals;